HIV - Prevention Forum

Worried about possible HIV exposure

Have read through this forum and could not find any resolution reduce my worries.

A couple of days ago I went to a Strip Club.  In the back room a stripper and I had a sexual encounter.  She performed oral sex on me.  What has me concerned is that she would repeatedly stick my fingers in her vagina and lick them clean.  Sometimes I would suck on the fingers with her.  I am sure I swallowed a fair amount of vaginal secretions.  My mouth is clean and free from cuts and sores.  She was very clean also.  I realize this was really stupid thing to do, and now I am regretful of the encounter.  

What is my risk?  What is the transmission possibility from tasting her secretions?  Does the fact that I would swallow sometimes after tasting her increase the risk?

Thank you for your help.
You can relax.  There is no significant risk of HIV and this exposure does not suggest you should have HIV testing.  As you undoubtedly saw in reading the forum, receiving fellatio and performaing cunnilingus is essentially no risk.  Accordingly, it is safe to conclude that oral contact with vaginal secretions via fingers also is virtually risk free.  Even if she had HIV, swallowing HIV-infected secretions is low risk.

I hope this helps.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Doctor -- I have been reading your postings thoroughly for the past two weeks.  I am starting to come to the conclusion (being the worried well I am) that HIV is pretty difficult to get.  It sounds through reading my post (and other posts) that if a person were to partake in UNPROTECTED vaginal or anal, then perhaps there is a reason for worry.  Oral and mutual masturbation doesn't even seem to worry you. In fact, you have often said in your posts that a person could go a lifetime AVOIDING HIV if that is the only thing being done.   I guess the takeaway for people reading this VERY INFORMATIVE website is that they really don't need to be worried unless they have UNPROTECTED vaginal or anal -- which is labled high risk.  

I hope other readers read my post... and at the very least, really think about REAL RISK EXPOSURES! I hope you agree with my conclusion, Doctor Handsfield.

With Deep Regards!

-- 72 Kent
You're getting the idea.  I hope others do as well.

Thanks for the thanks--

HHH, MD
Thanks for the quick response.

When you say low risk, could you give me a percentage?  How come oral is low risk if the mouth/throat/etc comes in contact with HIV-infected secretions?  You state that oral is pretty much no risk, and while I think that would be great for all it seems to good to be true.  

Thanks for your time and expertise.
Please see my post entitled, "risk level" and May 29.  Dr. H. did a great job addressing the whole oral question!  

Basically a person should start worrying about HIV if they had UNPROTECTED vaginal or anal sex.  If your risk is not one of those, you really having nothing to worry about. HIV is a very difficult disease to get.  Oral sex and mutual masturbation are not suffcient modes of transmission.  No worries, OK?
Allright I will try and stop worrying.  It just seems that much of the other available information states otherwise.  Its just very unlike me to take such risks.  I thank you for your help.
I am sure if Dr. H. is reading this post, he would agree with my advice to you.  Honestly, I have been where you are... worrying. Worrying is a horrible thing, but please be realistic about your espisode... and remember, if your risk DOESN'T INVOLVE unprotected vaginal/anal or sharing needles, you really have NOTHING to worry about as far as HIV goes.  

Take care and be well.
Re "...much of the other available information states otherwise [about risk of oral sex]":  

Always consider the source.  Disregard websites with a political, religious, or social orientation; and ignore information from non-professionals on sites that are not medically monitored (like this one).  Eliminate such sources and you'll get a perspective similar to mine.  CDC, health deparment webistes, and the like are reliable.  But remember that no credentials whatsoever are required for someone to start and maintain a website.

HHH, MD
We all should know by now that oral sex, "fingering", and mutual masterbation essentially carries no risk for HIV infection.  But I just want to mention for all the other worriers out there that Dr. H maintains that even unprotected vaginal sex, at least for the male, also carries a pretty low risk (1 chance in 1,000 to 2,000).
I can understand telling people not to worry about getting a bj unprotected( No documented cases worldwide) but there are definatly documented cases from people giving a bj especially when there is ejaculation in the mouth.
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.