Worried about symptoms

I am a 32 yr old black uncircumcised hetrosexual male, the end of February of last yr I stupidly had protected vaginal sex(less than 10min) and unprotected oral sex(she gave me a blowjob for less than 5 min)outside of my marriage with a black female that I met at a bar. Not sure of the condom brand as she provided and put it on. Exactly 1 month later(end of March) I came down with severe pain in my legs and neck pain the next day. a few days later came fatigue, diarrhea, and nausea but no vomiting.The fatigue lasted a few weeks. NO FEVER AND NO RASH. At the 46th day mark (6 weeks and 4 days) I went for my yearly exam which included a HIV test by Carilion lab and came back non-reactive. During the month of May and June I had a sore throat with a red sore on the inner check wall, constant dull stomach pain, constant stomach noise, headache between the eyes and neck pain but NO swollen nodes(doctor examined). It has been well over a year and I still have the stomach pain and noise, weekly dull headaches between the eyes and constant everyday neck pain that comes and goes throughout the day and nothing seems to help it.I posted on the free forum, Teak's reply made me feel better so I had unprotected sex with my wife. Now my wife has a constant dry cough and tickle throat for the past week and a half, thought it could be allergies. And last year she had 1 or 2 small lymph nodes in the neck at different times.
1)Risk Assessment?
2)Do these symptoms sound like ARS/HIV? Have you experience any patients with staggering symptoms like these?
3)In your 30+ years of the disease, have you seen a patient that match these symptoms?
4)How conclusive would you rate my test at 46 days post exposure? (not sure what generation but Carilion was the lab used)
5)Have you seen any HIV patients with constant neck pain(below ear and around the jaw line) but no swollen lymph nodes?
6)I got a 6 weeks neg test but due to symptoms i am second guessing that -Do I need more testing?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Welcome to the forum.  FYI -- and for other users who may read this -- it is only by chance that I am answering your question.  Dr. Hook and I take questions randomly, without regard to requests for one of us or the other.  Our views, opinion, and advice are always virtually identical, even if our wording and styles differ from one another.

You had an exposure that could not have resulted in HIV transmission -- condoms work and oral sex is no risk, or such low risk it can be ignored.  But most important, a universal and frequently repeated theme on this forum is that as long as HIV testing is done sufficiently long after exposure, the test results always overrule all other factors -- symptoms, exposure history, etc.  And 6 weeks is indeed enough time.  In other words, your test results prove you did not catch HIV and that your symptoms are due to something else.

1) Risk assessment:  Zero for practical purposes -- but irrelevant, given your test result.
2) No, your symptoms do not sound like those of HIV/AIDS.  But it wouldn't matter if they did -- again, because of the test result.
3) Your symptoms are extremely common, and of course I have had patients with such symptoms.  But none in whom HIV was the cause.
4) 100% reliable.  See this thread (read it all, including follow-up comments):  http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV-Prevention/-A-Question-on-Testing/show/1347755
5) No, I have not see any HIV infected persons with such symptoms.
6) You don't need any further testing.  However, as you will see in the link above, many agencies still recommend testing at 3 months -- so you might consider it for additional reassurance.  If you do, you can be sure the result will remain negative.

If you have another test, feel free to return with a comment to report the result.  Other than that, however, there is no point in further discussion.  There is no information you can provide, or scenarios your anxious mind can think up, that would change my opinion or advice.

It may be that you are hyper-anxious about HIV because you know that infections are more common in African Americans than other race/ethnicity groups.  That is true.  However, it does not mean that all blacks are at high risk.  Here are 2 past threads that discuss these aspects:  

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/717093
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/1261996

Bottom line:  You don't have HIV and shouldn't be worried about it.  If your symptoms continue or you otherwise remain concerned, see a doctor or clinic to work it out.

Regards--  HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
I am looking for a response from Dr. HHH please
Helpful - 0
Hi.I'm not a doctor here but here is what  I have to tell you.

Your exposure was very very low risk and your test at 6 weeks is a strong indication that you did not contract hiv from the exposure you describe.It doesn't matter which of the doctors you get,they work together.

Regards.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the assessment doctor, and by the way I meant that I was looking for a doctor's reponse and not from just anyone.

Would you recommend that i continue having unprotected sex with my wife?
Helpful - 0
Read Dr.HHH responce again and you see he has already answered your question.

"Bottom line:  You don't have HIV and shouldn't be worried about it." Dr.HHH
Helpful - 0
All questions on this forum receive a doctor's response.

You should never have stopped having unprotected sex with your wife.  You certainly can resume it now.

That's all for this thread.  Move on and take care.
Helpful - 0
"That's all for this thread" meant what it said.  The answers to your deleted follow-up comment are obvious from my previous replies.  This is not an ongoing anxiety counseling service.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.