HIV - Prevention Forum

combo test

i will try to be brief and appologise for my bad english .
10 weeks ago i gave oral sex to a girl i didnt know before . 1 week later i did some cocaine with a friend of mine who just got back from sierra leone (west africa) on my birthday .
now : 2 days later he told me he thinks he is hiv+ because he was having sex (protected) with some girls in sierra leone and he had uprotected sex with a girl in south africa . scince i knew that girl in s.a i know she is prbably hiv - so i wasnt so worried about him about a week later i developed a round white sore on my lower lip and had some small yellowish spots in my throught and aphtos under my tongue i went to the doctor and he gave me nistatin and told me i am fine a couple of days later i got a  sore throught and stiff neck for about 2 weeks and had night sweats and my glend had a bit of puss on them . so i started to worrie science my friend had a very dry cough and lost a lot of weight and i shared that coke straw with him so 5 weeks past the coke appisode and 6 weeks past oral sex i had a test in hospital (hiv 1/2 p24 combo ag/ab) which came back negative so i was a bit relieved and read on the net that i have near 0 chances of infection . after the test i had sex with my g.f and she got flu like symptoms sore throught and itchy skin that came out from nowhere so she had blood tests(not hiv) and all ok i had blood tests 1 week before which showed low lymph count
also my lymph nodes under my arm started to grow a bit . i am so worried about her and that i may have infected her i will be tested again but i would like to know if it is possible to get infected through sharing coaine straw or giving oral sex to a girl ?(she told me she is ok and here in my country there are 5000 cases of hiv out of 7 milion people ) can i test positive after that new generation combo test at 5/6 weeks? i dont know what to think and very scares please let me know my odds.
All of your long story comes down to just one thing:  the negative combo test 6 weeks after exposure means you did not catch HIV during the exposure you describe.  The symptoms are meaningless; the test result proves that HIV is not the cause.

To touch on other issues: Nobody ever got HIV by sharing cocaine-snorting equipment.  You cannot catch HIV by performing oral sex on a woman.  Sympoms never are a useful indicator of HIV infection in a person at slow risk.  People's self assessment of their own lymph nodes is very unreliable; I doubt the lymph nodes are enlarged at all.

Bottom line:  Relax.  The odds you have HIV are to low to measure.  See your own provider for evaluation if your symptoms persist; and if it will help you sleep better, have another HIV test in a few weeks.

HHH, MD
thank you so much for your comment .
the thing is that i got worried because my girlfriend got symptoms about two weeks after we had sex and i didnt mention constipation and throwing up .
i guess the only way to know is to gwet tested i hope you are right . again thank you i feel a bit better
i also wanted to add that i read in "the body " that there have been documented cases of people getting hiv from oral sex and it is not a near zero chance of exposure
oren:  I regularly read Dr. Frascino's forum at thebody.com.  As best I can tell, he and I are in agreement about fellatio as an HIV risk.  The best statistic, which Dr. Bob quotes frequently, is 1 chance in 10,000.  That means that someone who has only HIV positive partners and has oral once a day can expect to go 27 years before acquiring HIV.  For cunnilingus, the risk of HIV transmission is so low that there aren't even any estimated statistics on it.   Claims of atypical events--whether on HIV, STD, or any other topic--are grossly overrepresented in online forums.  In reading Dr. Bob's forum or this one, do not rely on what questioners claim, only on our responses.

mikaella:  Most providers don't know the "generation" terminology; they rely on their laboratories to use the most cost-effective test routinely and don't try to keep track of the details.  Same for me; I do not know the answer to your question.  But it really doesn't matter.  Except for the earliest HIV antibody tests ("first generation"), there isn't enough difference to worry about--i.e. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generation are essentially equivalent for most testing purposes.  Most HIV testing experts no longer use the "generation" terminology to describe the continuing evolution of HIV testing technologies.

HHH, MD
WHAT ABOUT MY GIRLFRIENDS SYMPTOMS SHE HAS NEVER HAD THEM BEFORE?
SHE STARTED ITCHING LIKE CRAZY AND GOT THESE SMALL BUMPS WHERE IT ITCHES ALSO HAD CONSTIPATION SOAR THROGHT AND VOMETING ALSO HAD FEVER FOR 2 DAYS
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.