HIV - Prevention Forum

hiv exposure/antibody testing

Hi, I had a few occasions in June my bf and I had sex with no condom for a few minutes each of the three times different occasions then continued our sex with the condom no ejaculation from him but once I did. I am 98% sure the beginning of july we used condoms all the way and hardly any sex that month.The end of July I had a uti took antibiotics for it, I had red raised blisters/sores on tops of hands two different times lasting a few days each, constricting feeling around throat, white pasty coating on tongue lasted 8 mins, very dry mouth, thirsty for two weeks, heartbeat fast then wanting to lay down, sore arm muscles, constipated, loss appetite, troubles sleeping, night sweats by sept 16 only a few days, bitter taste in my mouth, some swollen glands, mild headaches, pressure/pain by sinuses, weird tingly feelings going up past my temple region. A cough with little phlem coming up and mucous that was crusty like scabs inside my nose that hurt. Doc sept 2 noticed fluid in left ear, strep test neg, said viral... doc in later sept diag..me with sinuitis rhinitis...difficulty breathing one night head over steaming pot of water, nasal sprays used and claritin... How high is the exposure for hiv ?From the time I might be exposed to hiv to the time symptoms  start is it within reason or late? Or are the symptoms I described could it be hiv? From when I was tested to possibly exposed in june is the test good enough? How accurate is the elisa test for antibodys and how early can elisa test for antibodys? Thanks for your time..  
Hi.  Can you tell me if you are male or female and about the sites of exposure when you had sex.  It will help me to clarify where you stand in terms of risk, etc.

Even before you provide me with this information however, let me make a few generic comments.  First and foremost, please realize that transmission of HIV, STDs and, if you are female, pregnancy can occur without ejaculation. To start to have sex and then put a condom on once you have already had penetration is not a good idea and defeats the protection offered by condoms.

Second, regarding the reliability of HIV tests, it sounds as though you are at least 8 weeks since last exposure and perhaps close to 10 or 12.  At 8 weeks following last exposure, blood tests and other ELISAs for HIV will detect between 98 and 99% of infections.  thus a test result at 8 weeks is highly but not quite perfectly reliable.  The last 1-2% of positive tests are picked up between weeks 8 and 12.

Third.  If you really are interested in safe sex and you will be with your BF again, why not both get tested together.  That way you will each be able to continue the relationship without doubts as to each other's infection status.

Finally, it is hard to me to put all of your symptoms together to venture what is going on.  The blisters and skin rash sound almost like some sort of allergic reaction.  The other symptoms are really non-specific and do not particularly raise any concern about HIV or STD.  Hope this helps.  EWH

I forgot to mention that after the uti I had the symptoms not until the end of aug..
thanks libra1974.
I apologize I remembered something else I to have been sneezing lots and itchy skin.
thanks
Hi again sorry about that I am libra1974 and yes I am a female, I forgot to mention the first time I typed all my right things I wanted to say but typed too much so I deleted and forgot important info..My BF at that time did went and got tested and said he was clean showed me the mark in his arm and we were suppose to give the relationship a year. He is new to town and didn't have a doc so he went to a walk in clinic he also has a 2 in a half year old son. I also bought a home test but haven't taken yet, it is FDA approved by a doctor and high % of accuracy. Not sure what you mean sites of exposure when I had sex? I hope this helps...thank you for the info it helped.
Thanks for the additional information. The additional information serves to confirm my earlier thoughts and recommendations.  you are doing the right things.  Go on and get the test done.  It will be negative.  EWH
Hi it is libra1974 sorry to bother you I saw what I typed up above and noticed I left out info about my symptoms after the constricting feeling I had a sore throat for weeks from end of aug to almost the last week in sept..  I also typed the feeling of wanting to lay down I definitely felt fatigued for a bit there...I am sure the sore muscles and whatever it was that was making feel weird sometimes I have never experienced before.....I am scared for sure........Thanks.
As I said in my intitial response, symptoms are meaningless in evaluating risk for HIV.  Your symptoms are due to something other than HIV.  the so called ARS syndrome is only a useful designation to reasearchers after the fact, not in situations such as yours.  EWH
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.