HIV - Prevention Forum

hiv?

Doctor,
I'm worried sick!  Had unprotected vaginal sex twice with the same girl (also unprotected oral sex - giving/receiving).  She said she tested negative to HIV 3 weeks ago (don't know if I believe her).  My last encounter with her was 10 weeks ago.  About a couple of weeks after my last encounter with her white bumps/blisters (aphthous ulcers) appeared on bottom(underside) of tongue.  Had HIV test at 3.5 weeks from exposure.  Came out negative.  Blisters are still there 2.5 months later.  I'm pretty sure I have thrush on the back/rear (towards the throat) of my tongue and I also have angular cheilitis (for sure).  From what I've been reading on the net is that all of these symptoms are due to HIV.  Just recently I had a couple days where I had night sweats (another HIV symptom).  So my question is basically do you think I've been infected with HIV?  I'm soooo scared right now!  Please help.

Thank you in advance.
You cannot self diagnose thrush.  Angular cheilitis rarely is a sign of HIV.  Night sweats are not a sign of HIV unless you're also haveing fever.  Your risk of HIV from the exposures you describe was extremely low, and your partner said she doesn't have it.  (Few people lie about that when asked directly.)

So, no, I don't think you have HIV.  But see a provider about your symtpoms and have another HIV test to ease your mind.  It will be negative.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Thank you doctor for the answer.  I forgot to mention that I had a rash on my right hand (in between the fingers) that's slowly beginning to go away now.  So, hypothetically, if I did indeed have thrush on the back of my tongue, along with the aphthous ulcers underneath my tongue, would that change your opinion/diagnosis at all?  So in summary, my symptoms in total:
1. thrush on back/rear of tongue (didn't notice until two weeks ago but could've been there a long time)
2. angular chielitis (appeared 4 weeks after exposure)
3. apthous uclers on under surface of tongue (appeared 2 weeks after exposure)
4. rash on right hand (appeared 5 weeks after exposure)
5. night sweats that lasted two days recently (week 10)
What do you think?
I'm still scared!  Does my 3.5 week negative HIV test hold any water?
Re-read my response.  Search the threads for "time to positive HIV test".  You do not have HIV.

HHH, MD
Thank you again doctor.
Just got my HIV test results back (took a blood test on June 7th).  NEGATIVE!!!!  I know this has been asked tons of times before but after 9.5 weeks, can I consider myself cleared?  And the reason I ask is because I still have those blisters on my tongue, etc...  Or should I get tested at the 13 week mark and also the 6 month mark?
Again, thank you in advance.  Much appreciated!
You're the only one surprised by your negative HIV test. I'm not, and I'm sure your provider (or whoever ordered the test) knew you would be negative.  Your symptoms do not change that. No symptoms ever are a reliable indicator for or against a new HIV infection.  Ever.  (I can't count the number of times I have said it on this forum. Search "ARS symptoms" and "HIV symptoms".) And your symptoms didn't sound like HIV anyway.

You can be 100% confident in a negative 9 week result.  Some experts recommend 3 month testing, but I do not.  Almost nobody recommends testing as far as 6 months after exposure.

HHH, MD
Thank you again Doctor.
I'm sorry to keep bringing this up but if you do a search on "oral manifestations of HIV" on the net, all the websites say that if you have thrush and angular chielitis, that these can/always occur in people with acute HIV infection.  Ruling out all other causes of a fungal infection, which I have, I am thus still scared out of my pants.  Again I'm pretty sure I have thrush (I have cottage cheese type stuff that I can wipe away at the back of the tongue and also I have the symptoms of angular chielitis at the corners of my mouth (ulcerations/redness/tingling/white patches - which would be consistent with a fungal infection), not to mention my aphthous ulcers on the bottom of my tongue.  All of these are still with me to this day (11 weeks post exposure).  Having had a negative HIV test at the 9.5 week mark, I'm thinking it was negative because I have an impaired immune system that hasn't produced any antibodies yet.  What do you think doctor.  I still value your opinion and I'm going out of my mind.
Thank you in advance.
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.