HIV - Prevention Forum

risk of infection

I developed some nodes in my armpits over the past few days.  One weekend ago (7 days ago) I had protected intercourse with an x-girlfriend who was in a long-term relationship.  For about 2 minutes I had unprotected intercourse with her on Sunday.  Less than two days later I noticed my right armpit was sore.  By Wednesday night the right armpit was very sore.  I went to a doctor the next day.  She asked if had had sex with a new partner within the past two weeks.  This frightened me.  I think I have nodes in both armpits.  About a month ago I also kissed recieved oral sex, and fingered a girl.  And about a month and a half ago I received oral sex from a different girl.  I had sexual intercourse twice during 2007 with condoms.  I have also recieved oral sex from some other women.  How likely do you think it is that I am experiencing a response to being infected with HIV?  One last thing, I normally do not put on deodorant.  However last week around the time I was sleeping with m X, I but on this new body spray a number of times on my armpits.  Thank you very much in advance for ansewring my question.
The purpose of the character limit is to require people to put all the information into the initial question.  But the additional information in the add-on comments doesn't make any difference in my response, so I deleted them.

Let's go through the power evidence that you don't have HIV.  1) You describe a low risk situation, and seem to have an inflated view of the risks of HIV from heterosexual exposure, especially if you are in the US or other industrialized country. The chance any of your female partners had HIV is extremely low, probably less than 1 chance in 1,000.  2) Even if a partner was infected, for each episode of unprotected vaginal sex with an infected women, the risk of transmission to the male partner averages only 1 chance in 2,000; and you describe sex protected by a condom, which means there was no HIV risk.  3) Although swollen lymph nodes can be a sign of new HIV infection, they also occur with many other medical conditions, all of which are much more common than HIV.  4) Primary HIV infection symptoms start 10-20 days after exposure, not a coule days later.  5) HIV never causes enlarged lymph nodes as the only symptom; that's only part of a bunch of other things, including fever and often a skin rash.  

Continue to follow up with your doctor if your symptoms continue or you remain concerned.  If he recomends HIV testing to be safe, it's fine with me.  But you can expect a negative result.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Thank you kindly for your response.  I am a white male.  I have been been in a very bad state lately.  I am a bit hypochondrical to begin with.  I have been extremely anxious ever since before my blood was drawn.  The only sexual interaction that I had within the past 10 to 20 days was receiving oral sex from a woman that I did not know very well.  She was my hair-stylist.  I also put my finger inside her and kissed her.  I have also had some strange symptoms in teh past years off and on.  For example, I tend to have colds that linger with sinus pain and I have trouble with temperature regulation, especially when I sleep (this also runs in my family).  Does this change any of your thoughts?  Your answer was helpful.  Thank you very much.  I appreciate your time.

Best Wishes
I am also a caucasian with no history of drug/needle use and no tatoos....
sorry I didn't get it all in the first question.  This is my first time posting questions of this sort.
Best Wishes,
B
One thing that I realized that you misread.  I had sex for 2 minutes without a condom with this girl last week.
I'm sorry, I should have been more careful with what I wrote.  This is what I meant to say:
1. I had sex with the x-girlfriend for a couple of minutes without a condom (I think that you may have missed that point)
2. in the 10-20 day period since today, I had a girl perform oral sex on me, I fingered her, and kissed her a little bit.
3. I am a white male and have never used intravenous drugs

You wrote down what the likelihood for not having HIV.  What are the odds that I have it under these circumstances?

Thanks again for your time and help.
I normally write much more clearly.  I am just very anxious and nervous.

Best
Chance your partner had HIV 1 in 1,000.  Chance you caught it if she did, 1 in 2,000 (maximum -- probably lower given brevity of exposure).  0.001 x 0.0005 = 0.0000005.  That's once chance in 2 million.  Put that in perspective:  If you live in the US, actuarial statistics predict 1 chance in 1,756 that you'll be dead within 12 months of an accident (mostly auto accidents, but this figure is for all accidental deaths).  Perhaps not what somone under stress and "a bit hypochondriacal" wants to hear.  But that risk is more than 1,000 times higher than the chance you caught HIV.

In other words, you truly have no worries here.  Take it to the bank.

I won't have any other replies.  Best wishes.  (PS: Don't forget your seatbelt.)
Thanks for your reply.
I submitted another question before you responded here.  Ignore it if you don't want to answer the question.  I appreciate your time and help.

Best Wishes to you.
You are not welcome to keep asking every new anxiety-induced question that comes to mind, and you may not start a second thread on the same topic as an open one.  I deleted the new attempt.  Further, this thread also is over.  The intensity of your anxieties suggests you could benefit from professional counseling, and online forums are not a substitute.  I suggest it out of compassion, not criticism.  However, this thread is over.  I will delete the entire thread if you keep using this site as your anxiety escape valve.  Good bye.

HHH, MD
I'm sorry.  I appreciate your "compassion, not criticism" and your advice to get counselling.  I tend to be hypochondrical.  I will stop asking questions.  I thought that my last question however, (which I paid 15 dollars more to ask) was a stastical question that others might be interested in.  I respect your decision to not answer it.  Have a nice evening.
Thanks.
Best Wishes
I don't understand why you erased my question.  I paid 15 dollars to have you answer it and I think it would be iteresting for others to know what percentage of people with normal blood counts have HIV.
Thanks.
Just following MedHelp and HIV forum rules.

In the US around 1 in 1000 people has HIV and most have a normal complete blood count (CBC).  Therefore, I would estimate that among people with normal CBC, about 1 in 1000 has HIV.

In people with overt AIDS, most have abnormal CBC in one area or another-- anemia, abnormal white blood cell or platelet count, etc.  However, those abnormalities are identical to those seen in most chronic illnesses, both mild and serious, from infections to cancer to nutritional deficiencies and others.

Bottom line:  A completely normal CBC is pretty good evidence against overt AIDS, but otherwise a CBC, whether normal or abnormal, is useless in judging whether someone has HIV.

That's my last comment on this thread.
Symptoms NEVER are a useful indicator of new HIV infection, for exactly the same reasons that CBC results are not.  I already told you why your swollen lymph nodes don't suggest HIV anyway.

You may not continue to post anxiety-provoked comments every time a new question comes to mind.  Just read and believe my previous replies.  I will delete any further comments by you, in any thread.  
Dear Dr.,
I'm beggin you, please answer my questions.  I have never been so scared in my life.   I promise I will leave you alone after this.  I now have sore glands in both armpits.  I also now notice that there are glands in my groin area (I only noticed this tonight).  They are not sensitive to the touch.  I have also woken up sweaty, although I tend to have issues with temperture regulation.  I have taken my temperature regularly and do not have a temperature.  I did shave in my groin area last week.  Do you still think that I have nothing to worry about?  Now that I have glands in different parts of my body, I can't help feeling anxious.  Are you more suspicious now about HIV or do you think that I have nothing to worry about?  Thank you for you time.  I would be happy to pay more to get your advice if necessary.  I am very scared.  Everywhere I look online it says that if you have these enlarged glands it is a sign of HIV infection.  I also was using a noxonol-9 condom prior to the 2 minutes of unprotected vaginal intercourse.  I've read since that spermicide can make HIV transmission easier.  Is that true.  Thank You.  
Best Wishes
You are abusing the forum.  You have taken more of my time and energy than any other 10 threads taken together and keep demanding more.  There is no risk here.  You will seen receive a warning notice from MedHelp administration.  If it is necessary to inform them of your abuse of the forum a second time, you will be banned from any participation on any MedHelp forum.

You came here for reassurance.  I gave it.  All your questions, including the follow-up ones, have been answered if you will simply read the other replies and use your brain in interpreting them.  Inability to accept reality despite all rational evidence suggests a need for psychological support.  This is not the place for it.

Do not attempt another comment.
Thank you for your help doctor.
I'm sorry for "abusing this forum"
I will not write anymore.
Best Wishes
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.