HIV, Living With Community

HIV Reactive

Doc, I had an HIV Testing done and it came back HIV REACTIVE, the problem I have is what exactly what do it means, do I have Aids? I have requested a second testing and will be done in 5 weeks, I had some unsafe sex with a few  men and they said they were married and I know that was stupied on my part, I was the bottom in each sex encounter, The reason I had the HIV Test done was I started losing a few pounds of weight and thought maybe I had caught something during several operations at our local hospital. My wife and I haven't had sex in several years, is there a way she can catch HIV from me, I am so scared to tell her for if I do my marriage is over, something I should have thought about before having the sexual encounter. My doctor doesn't seem to worried about this, should I be, You don't have to worry about me having sex with anyone. I'm worried about myself and my wife. Please tell me what is happening concering the HIV Reactive and if my wife safe??? Thanks..Joe
was your positive result confirmed by a western blot?
According to the lady at the VA Hospital it was confirmed by a western blot
Did you see the paperwork from the Western Blot test?
I'm sorry I didn't all I saw the result that said HIV-Reactive, the lady explained to me I was infected with HIV and later leads to Aids. I am so dang scared. I should have been scared when I was having unsafe sex. Just haven't figured out how to tell my wife. I do appreciate all of your help in this matter.
The lady in the VA Clinic said my doctor was referring my to the I think Enviromental Medicine and Decease department. I was thinking of going out and pay to ahve the test given again. I am really scared.
I suggest you redo the tests and obtain copies of the tests which you should have been given.
Thanks for all your help in this matter. Joe
I have another question, I just received an email tell me they want me to come in tomorrow for another blood test, I ask is this the being done because I asked for a second option, they said no for my return came back postive, I told her it said HIV-REACTIVE, she told me that meant postive, think you can clear this up for. The paper work said HIV-REACTIVE is this same as positive or what, They said they are start treating me for Aids. Please advice me. I was wanting a second option. Thanks
Retest...
I really appreciate you advice, I am so dang confused, One person says I am HIV-ACTIVE and the next one say that means I am HIV Postive, I have listern to you and Lizzie Lou. I really enjoy your help.
Is there a differance in Active-Reactive and HIV Positive? I had the Western Blot only, don't know what this blood test is for tomorrow, did you have to do all theses blood test prior to your treatment, maybe they are checking on my T-Cell count? Again thanks for you help. After this email I won't asking you anything else until tomoorw after returning back from the doctor. Thanks..Joe
Go somewhere and get the correct tests. A Western Blot is NOT the correct test.
I agree with Teak, get retested.  If the results come back HIV-REACTIVE then yes, you are HIV positive. If it is NON-REACTIVE, then you are negative.
Thank both of you for your advice, What about diarrhea does it have anything to do with HIV.
So I see I must be HIV-positive, the doctor took several bottles of blood from me, is there a way when they think I could have gotton the HIV.
Since I am HIV-Reactive (positive) does this mean I have the Aids Virus or if I'm not treated I could get Aids. Please answer these questions for me
People with hiv these days are living long healthy lives, but it is really up to you to follow up closely with your doctors and take the prescribed medications, which you might not have to take for several years, depending on your t-cell count, the best best thing you can do is to learn everything you can about the disease, so you will be prepared for any situation, pertaning to it, if indeed you have it, remmember it is up to "you" to take care of your self and change certian things in your life style to maintain a healthy body... good luck and god bless... and please whatever happens remmember it is very important to keep a good attitude!
I really appreciate your reply and its help alot. But what about the diarrhea, do you think it has anything to do with HIV-Reactive, I have had it for several years. Again thanks for answering my email
Diarrhea can be caused by many things, not just hiv, but stress and anxiety are some of the number one causes, my suggestion to you to try and relax, whats done is done, now you must figure out what the best way to deal with it will be,#1 find something to do, so your not constanly thinking about negative things ,exersise is good for that #2 I know its going to be hard but try not to be scared, put yours fears aside and be strong about the situation, and realize there are many people that are going through the same thing, and its important to do your best to keep a good out look and talk to other people who have the same struggles, this will help you to keep your strength and show you that your not alone, maybe if you want to , you can learn about this disease share your experinces and later on help others in your situation, BE STRONG BROTHER! LIFE IS HARD SOMETIMES ITS HOW YOU DEAL WITH IT, THAT MAKES YOU WHO YOU ARE! HANG IN THERE!  IMPROVISE, ADAPT , OVERCOME!
Thanks for all the great advice, dang I just hope I can be and do all the things you mention.
(1) Does HIV-postive effective an older person as myself more than a younger person?
(2) Is there a lot of medications that I have to take?
(3) My biggest fear is telling my wife about this for she will just fall apart, especially knowing I have had sex with a woman or man, that more fear than having HIV-positive, something I should have thought about first.
Hope to hear back from you later. Joe
Take it to the Living With Forum.
Teak you have really been great in answerin alot of my questions and I have appreciated everything you have told me. I just wish there were people out there like you to help new people who have been informed they have HIV-postive, But what is "Take it to the Living With Forum", I not just asking a silly question I'm just trying to find information from people I can talk to and ask question and I feel you are one of the most knowledge guys on this site. So is your answer just a smart answer or is there such a place.
Thanks for your help I will check it out.
Do you know if there are any special foods I can eat to help my CD4 Cell (T-cell) that I can eat to help to keep the high or snything I can do special to do this. Thanks
Take it back to the Living With Forum and discuss it with your Infectious Disease doctor.
I would only add that there may also be HIV case management services with your county health department that may help set you up with a nutritionist. I wish you the best.
ASO are not located in the Health Departments. They are located in the Infectious disease clinics at major hospitals. Your Infectious Disease doctor will advise you of everything you need to know.
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.