MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.

Questions about HPV / genital warts in someone who is HIV positive

I am a gay male. I have recently started seeing someone who is HIV+, but undetectable. Recently, we noticed he had a couple of internal anal warts. I also had anal warts the year prior, and I have been clear of them for about 4-5 months now. I have never had unprotected sex with my new partner in either top or bottom roles, and I have never had HPV show up on my penis.

Questions:

1.) How likely is it that his intra-anal warts are from me, given that I have never had HPV warts show up on my penis, and I have never penetrated him unprotected? I feel extremely guilty that it might be from me, but I've only had warts show up anally and as far has I know, his anus has never had contact with my anus (that would be quite a feat).

2.) He is undetectable, although neither of us have an idea what his cd4 count is. Will he have a harder time clearing the infection because he is HIV positive despite being on meds and is generally very healthy?

3.) Do HIV+ people who are on meds and are undetectable have immune systems that function the same or very close to uninfected, healthy individuals?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest

You are reading content posted in the HIV, Living With Community

Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.