HIV Prevention Community

*****

Dear Doctor, i somehow got pricked my finger from a freshly used syringe for injecting local anesthesia a year back.
i even cleaned my finger with a spirit.However i haven't done test for HIV.
Now am worried if i have HIV.I don't have guts to do the test also.
I am great tension.
Tell me what  to do.I am ready to hear the truth.
I am not understanding what "happened" to you. Small pricks from needles, regardless, are not risks for HIV. You need to inject HIV infected blood into your system (as would be the case with IV drug users) in order for needles to pose a risk.
Dear Doctor ,
i want to tell you clearly.First i injected the 3ml syringe loaded with local anesthesia in the patient's mouth and when i was trying to recap it i pricked my forefinger. however i suddenly removed that syringe Just want to know am i at risk if the patient had HIV.

.I think there was no or very very less amount of blood in the tip of the syringe because that syringe was not used to withdraw blood.
Please reply kindly doctor.
Thankyou
Ok, thank you for clarifying. As this incident happened a year ago, you can't make an incident report as you should have according to hospital/medical facility protocol.

Simply pricking your finger with a needle is very, very low risk. It requires injecting fluid into your system for transmission to occur. It is extremely unlikely that there was enough blood on the tip of the needle to pose a risk for you. However, as you are worried and anxious, you can get a simple rapid test done now for a conclusive result, and because in a medical setting, if you are ever pricked with a needle that was previously used on a patient, you need to test for HIV and HCV because that is what is done according to protocol.

I wish you the very best of luck.
I agree with avonelle38's post.
Also - just wanted to point out - I imagine you were wearing gloves as you were involved in or performing a small medical/dental procedure - so any blood on the tip of the syringe would have 'sheared off' into the glove before it penetrated your skin.

I'm a nurse and have had a coulple of needlestick's in my time - I had to get tested as its mandatory hospital protocol - but I was not at all worried because it was not injected IV - and my gloves made it unlikely any blood penetrated my skin. And on top of that the patients were extremely low risk to be HIV + (prob. the same for your patient?)

So really, don't worry too much - but to really lay the incident to rest in your mind get tested. (but expect a negative result)
hey thank you Doc
after reading your reply i am pretty relieved.
i really appreciate your comment