HIV Prevention Community

******* from hiv positive guy

Hello I am freaking out real bad.A guy who I have just found out to be hiv positive gave me a blow job 3 days ago.The terrible thing is that he has gum disease,bad teeth and i assume he had blood in his mouth.He told me all of this himself this morning and said he is not joking and felt it necessary to tell me and has said i will need to do an hiv test as i was more than likely exposed to his blood.He gave the blow job for about 15 minutes but i didnt cum in his mouth.Have i contracted hiv from this encounter and how big a ris is it and can i get what they call PEP?

Please help me here with a detailed answer.

You never had an exposure from oral sex. You don't need nPEP.
By the way the blowjob was UNPROTECTED.
Doesn't matter protected or not or if the partner was positive or not, oral sex is not a risk.
Hello than you for your response but please note i said it was unprotected.Can you explain how i was not at risk since he was HIV POSITIVE AND MORE THAN LIKELY HAD BLOOD IN HIS MOUTH?I realldont understand what you mean.
Saliva contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that inhibits HIV tranasmission.
Are you sure about this?Are you trying to say i couldnt have contracted hiv from this person through receiving oral sex and that i would need to get a blood test because of this episode?Are you certain and you are not trying to trick me?I am really scared...
No incident HIV infections among MSM who practice exclusively oral sex.
Int Conf AIDS 2004 Jul 11-16; 15:(abstract no. WePpC2072)??Balls JE, Evans JL, Dilley J, Osmond D, Shiboski S, Shiboski C, Klausner J, McFarland W, Greenspan D, Page-Shafer K?University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, United States

Oral transmission of HIV, reality or fiction? An update
J Campo1, MA Perea1, J del Romero2, J Cano1, V Hernando2, A Bascones1
Oral Diseases (2006) 12, 219–228

AIDS: Volume 16(17) 22 November 2002 pp 2350-2352
Risk of HIV infection attributable to oral sex among men who have sex with men and in the population of men who have sex with men

Page-Shafer, Kimberlya,b; Shiboski, Caroline Hb; Osmond, Dennis Hc; Dilley, Jamesd; McFarland, Willie; Shiboski, Steve Cc; Klausner, Jeffrey De; Balls, Joycea; Greenspan, Deborahb; Greenspan
Page-Shafer K, Veugelers PJ, Moss AR, Strathdee S, Kaldor JM, van Griensven GJ. Sexual risk behavior and risk factors for HIV-1 seroconversion in homosexual men participating in the Tricontinental Seroconverter Study, 1982-1994 [published erratum appears in Am J Epidemiol 1997 15 Dec; 146(12):1076]. Am J Epidemiol 1997, 146:531-542.

Studies which show the fallacy of relying on anecdotal evidence as opposed to carefully controlled study insofar as HIV transmission risk is concerned:

Jenicek M. "Clinical Case Reporting" in Evidence-Based Medicine. Oxford: Butterworth–Heinemann; 1999:117
Saltzman SP, Stoddard AM, McCusker J, Moon MW, Mayer KH. Reliability of self-reported sexual behavior risk factors for HIV infection in homosexual men. Public Health Rep. 1987 102(6):692–697.Nov–Dec;

Catania JA, Gibson DR, Chitwood DD, Coates TJ. Methodological problems in AIDS behavioral research: influences on measurement error and participation bias in studies of sexual behavior. Psychol Bull. 1990 Nov;108(3):339–362.

There is no debate (among experts) about the HIV risks associated with oral sex. The risk is so low that almost nobody who cares for HIV infected patients has ever had a patient believed to have been infected that way. Among experts, it's a semantic issue about using terms like "no risk" and "very low risk". There is no difference between my or Dr. Hook's use of "low risk" and other experts' "no risk".
DR. HANSFIELD

"And oral sex is basically safe sex -- completely safe with respect to HIV and although not zero risk for other STDs, the chance of infection is far lower than for unprotected vaginal or anal sex. Please educate yourself about the real risks. If you stick with oral sex and condom-protected vaginal or anal sex, you have no HIV worries and very little worry about other STDs. " DR HANSFIELD

"I am sure you can find lots of people who believe that HIV is transmitted by oral sex, but you will not find scientific data to support this unrealistic concern..." DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread by touching, masturbation, oral sex or condom protected sex."- DR. HOOK

in the public HIV Prevention forum of MedHelp, TEAK and the other moderators maintain that oral sex in all forms is a zero risk activity. Would you agree with this assessment?
I TOTALLY AGREE / DR GARCIA
"HIV is not spread by masturbation, through oral sex, through kissing or other casual contact." Dr. Hook
"The observation on thousands and thousands of observations is that HIV is not spread by oral sex (of any sort)." DR HOOK
"I would not say your risk ,if he had HIV is "slim to none"- that's too high.  I would say they are effectively zero.  How much of his ejaculate or other genital  secretions you may have swallowed makes no difference.  EWH "
"As far as HIV is concerned, there is no known risk of getting HIV from performing oral sex on an infected partner, even if that person's genital secretions get into your eyes or if you swallow." Dr.Hook
oh so are these real valid studies?Wow! Then why do people keep saying unprotected oral sex is a risk?So I dont need an HIV test then ,am i correct?

Thank you
No you do not need to test. Any questions you have on STDs from oral sex needs to be posted in the STD Forum.
Ok Tea than you very much.I feel a litte better now.I will sak on the other forum what i was at risk for.You are an informed DOCTOR.Thank you.
Not a doctor, but you're welcome.