HIV Prevention Community

5 week HIV test

On July 11th I had protected vaginal sex with an African-American csw. I did not notice the condom tear, although I was not paying any particular attention to it at the time. I carried to the bathroom and disposed of it myself and did not notice anything obvious during this time that would lead me to believe it was broken.

I was still concerned afterwards however, so I decided to get tested for HIV exactly 5 weeks and 2 days later. It was a rapid test, and the results came back negative. Although I was quite relieved, I later read that 3 month tests are the most accurate.

I have three questions:

1) How obvious is it to tell if a condom breaks? Would it tear open, or could there be a pin prick sized hole that could go unnoticed?
2) Are there any statistics detailing HIV/AIDS prevalence among csw's in the United States?
3) How accurate is the rapid blood test after only 5 weeks?

condom failure is catastrophic...you would have noticed when you took it off whether or not it failed...not something you have to guess about.

you had PROTECTED sex...NO risk.
1) How obvious is it to tell if a condom breaks? Would it tear open, or could there be a pin prick sized hole that could go unnoticed? If the condom failed you would know, it would burst apart and you would be looking at shreds.

2) Are there any statistics detailing HIV/AIDS prevalence among csw's in the United States? Most CSWs are made to test on a normal bases for there job. Even though they have a high risk job, it is unlikely she had HIV. But you had NO RISK

3) How accurate is the rapid blood test after only 5 weeks? Proves you were not infected.  This test was not even needed.

Nothing you did put you at risk for HIV infection