6 week negative all symptoms help

hi...while on holiday in Thailand I had protected vaginal sex twice with a sex worker(bar girl) no oral or anything else..condoms were used and did not break or slip off therefore did not really worry about it. Around 2 weeks after last encounter I came down with a strange light headiness along with general weakness and malaise,also have discomfort in groin and armpit area and aching arms on and off..went to my local GUM clinic a couple of days after onset of symptoms,was screened for std,s and had a duo hiv test and hepatitis tests..All tests came back negative.The symptoms described continued so I decided to retest at 6 week mark (duo test) Again it came back negative much to my surprise as I am convinced I have picked up hiv...so its been 7 weeks since last exposure and the symptoms continue now over 5 weeks.. Been to my doctor had some blood tests done and nothing unusual has come up....so what do I do now? I know I will have to wait until 12 weeks for conclusive, whats the chances it will change from neg at 6 weeks? I know a lot of so called experts seem to think 6 weeks is extremely encouraging and have never seen a 6 week neg turn poz at 12...Am I going to be the first? Do my symptoms and the length of time of symptoms sound like ARS...please help thanks
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
You never had an HIV exposure and you are not having ARS.

HIV is transmitted by;
Unprotected penetrative anal and/or vaginal sex
Sharing works with other IV drug users
Mother to child
Helpful - 0
wow that's great service...hi I understand what you are saying about condoms and I would not have  give it a second thought if it were not for these strange symptoms that seem to mimmick ARS ..Are condoms really that efficient that you can basically say as long as you wear a condom you need not worry about hiv
Helpful - 0
Yes condoms are that effective. If you are concerned about your symptoms see your doctor, they have nothing to do with HIV.
Helpful - 0
thanks....can you tell me if my symptoms were due to ARS would a test 4 weeks after onset of symptoms produce a positive antibody test,,,,i have heard ARS typically lasts for a week or two, could it linger for over a month and does a duo test pick up all strains of hiv including subtype e wich is prevalent in Thailand and arguably easier to pass on
Helpful - 0
You had no HIV risk.
Helpful - 0
although I would love to believe that sex with a condom puts you at no risk for hiv,,that notion is not universally accepted..many would say condoms will reduce risk but are not 100 %...so I would say there is a hiv risk,,maybe a small risk but still a risk.....I can bet there are thousands of people out there who used protection and still acquired hiv  who are angered at  the general notion  that wearing a condom is foolproof...I just don't think its as black and white guys
Helpful - 0
Then go talk to the people who are uneducated about HIV transmission and condom use.
Helpful - 0
hey no offence its just my opinion...will post my 99% "conclusive" 12 week results for the 6 week/12 week debaters  and the !00% foolproof condom debaters and I pray to sweet jesus that my swollen lymphs are all in my mind and you are right
Helpful - 0
Save it, you never had an exposure.
Helpful - 0
hope you are right...thanks guys it will keep me from going  insane
Helpful - 0
You and I are on the same boat, my elisa at 5 weeks and 3 days came negative. Since I did not have a risk (no penetration) am relaxed. Ofcourse using condoms correctly and consistently would avoid hiv infection. As you hav used condoms, hence relax, ur 6 week result is never going to change unless and until if you indulge in another risky activity. Take care.
Helpful - 0
Move on and stop spamming the forum.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV Prevention Community