Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

6 week negative all symptoms help

hi...while on holiday in Thailand I had protected vaginal sex twice with a sex worker(bar girl) no oral or anything else..condoms were used and did not break or slip off therefore did not really worry about it. Around 2 weeks after last encounter I came down with a strange light headiness along with general weakness and malaise,also have discomfort in groin and armpit area and aching arms on and off..went to my local GUM clinic a couple of days after onset of symptoms,was screened for std,s and had a duo hiv test and hepatitis tests..All tests came back negative.The symptoms described continued so I decided to retest at 6 week mark (duo test) Again it came back negative much to my surprise as I am convinced I have picked up hiv...so its been 7 weeks since last exposure and the symptoms continue now over 5 weeks.. Been to my doctor had some blood tests done and nothing unusual has come up....so what do I do now? I know I will have to wait until 12 weeks for conclusive, whats the chances it will change from neg at 6 weeks? I know a lot of so called experts seem to think 6 weeks is extremely encouraging and have never seen a 6 week neg turn poz at 12...Am I going to be the first? Do my symptoms and the length of time of symptoms sound like ARS...please help thanks
12 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
You never had an HIV exposure and you are not having ARS.

HIV is transmitted by;
Unprotected penetrative anal and/or vaginal sex
Sharing works with other IV drug users
Mother to child
Helpful - 0
wow that's great service...hi I understand what you are saying about condoms and I would not have  give it a second thought if it were not for these strange symptoms that seem to mimmick ARS ..Are condoms really that efficient that you can basically say as long as you wear a condom you need not worry about hiv
Helpful - 0
Yes condoms are that effective. If you are concerned about your symptoms see your doctor, they have nothing to do with HIV.
Helpful - 0
thanks....can you tell me if my symptoms were due to ARS would a test 4 weeks after onset of symptoms produce a positive antibody test,,,,i have heard ARS typically lasts for a week or two, could it linger for over a month and does a duo test pick up all strains of hiv including subtype e wich is prevalent in Thailand and arguably easier to pass on
Helpful - 0
You had no HIV risk.
Helpful - 0
although I would love to believe that sex with a condom puts you at no risk for hiv,,that notion is not universally accepted..many would say condoms will reduce risk but are not 100 %...so I would say there is a hiv risk,,maybe a small risk but still a risk.....I can bet there are thousands of people out there who used protection and still acquired hiv  who are angered at  the general notion  that wearing a condom is foolproof...I just don't think its as black and white guys
Helpful - 0
Then go talk to the people who are uneducated about HIV transmission and condom use.
Helpful - 0
hey no offence its just my opinion...will post my 99% "conclusive" 12 week results for the 6 week/12 week debaters  and the !00% foolproof condom debaters and I pray to sweet jesus that my swollen lymphs are all in my mind and you are right
Helpful - 0
Save it, you never had an exposure.
Helpful - 0
hope you are right...thanks guys it will keep me from going  insane
Helpful - 0
You and I are on the same boat, my elisa at 5 weeks and 3 days came negative. Since I did not have a risk (no penetration) am relaxed. Ofcourse using condoms correctly and consistently would avoid hiv infection. As you hav used condoms, hence relax, ur 6 week result is never going to change unless and until if you indulge in another risky activity. Take care.
Helpful - 0
Move on and stop spamming the forum.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the HIV Prevention Community

Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544695265
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1595629445
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.