8 weeks is 98%?

I read plenty of times that most people serocovert by 8 weeks.  Like 98%.  This percentage is an estimate?  Does everybody typically agree with that?  Can we compare those 98% statitistics with something other than HIV as the item for comparison idea.  Also what does that 98% reflect - 1000's of people diagnosed with hiv, 100s of people diagnosed with hiv?  

I read six weeks negative is a very good sign but some people have a lot of faith and trust in the government and cdc and a lot of professionals are scared of the gov. and cdc. I know theyre not the most reliable doctors as history has shown the cdc's mistakes and lies so I will test every other week now beyond my 6 week mark.  Also being that theyre in GA, says a lot about them.  Maybe if they were in DC, NY, CA, or MA I would feel more confident in them.

I just really dont know these answers as much as I try to make sense of it or think I understand it.
what does the fact that they are in GA have to do with anything?  geeeeeeeeeez!!!!!

what is it that you want to know?  

fact:  most ppl will test positive by 4 weeks
fact:  a negative test at 6-8 weeks is a good indicator and highly unlikely to change
fact:  the cdc, fda, and the manufacturers of the tests, set the 3 month guideline.
fact:  until these agencies change those guidelines...NO ONE else can.
Your answers are appreciated and I dont know why I have to read this again and again to remember or understand it.  Must be stress.  I read this everyday over and over again.  I usually dont post much but read the forums.

6-8 weeks is highly unlikely to change.  Like how unlikely aside from a 98% chance - being spontaneously diagnosed with cancer at 24, winning lottery,  it raining on a day the weather didnt forecast it?

Im not joking despite my dumb examples.  PErhaps another would be better suited.
Winning the lottery of the world
...........
Meaning, winning the lottery, the rain falling, whatever. The rule on this site is 12 weeks for a conclusive negative (re: 99%+ conclusive) result. Your 6-8 week test is mainly to put your mind at ease as it hardly ever goes from negative to positve after a 6-8 week negative. 98%, 97% 96%, all those are really good odds, so take it easy
8 week test is 99% accurate. most likely to change. I'm going to test tomorrow again after 14 week. Pray for me it should not change
I am praying for you!  Please update this form on the good news you will be receiving shortly!!
I had a test at 8 weeks and came back negative. I asked my doctor if I needed to test again at 12 weeks and he said no. He seemed like a competent doctor but I'll get tested again at 12 weeks just in case. Sounds like 8 weeks is fairly definitive.

You are reading content posted in the HIV Prevention Community