HIV Prevention Community

Acute HIV-symptoms

I had unprotected sex & 3 weeks after got sore throat, swollen nodes neck and throat.
3 weeks later (6 weeks after unprotected sex) i was tested negative.
However now , 2 months after unprotected sex my throat is still sore, my tongue aches , nodes are not as swollen, but still aches when pressed.

My question is :

Can a test 6 week after possible exposure be trusted if showing symptoms of acute hiv?

-I read somewhere that a negative test during primary HIV can not be trusted.
Hey

Typical HIV tests are looking for antibodies in your blood that are trying to fight the virus. However, it takes up to 13 weeks (three months) for those antibodies to occur in your blood (in some cases it might take up to 6 months). Therefore you should have your first test 3 months after the unprotected intercourse and an other test 3 months after the first one, if both of them are negative you can be absolutely certain that you do not have HIV. Unfortunately, the test you took 6 weeks after the unprotected encounter does not provide any certainty yet. Hope that helps and hope your tests are negative (most tests will be) x
a six week test is a great indicator...and odds are that it will not change.  that being said...you need to follow that up with a test at the 3 month mark for a conclusive result.

there is NO NEED to test at 6 months as stated above.  3 months is enough.
3 months would be conclusive.
'a six week test is a great indicator' .....yes? how great
WELL...it is highly unlikely that it will change.  BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT...according to the guidelines...you MUST test at 3 months to have a conclusive result.
THX -

I read somewhere that a test will not work if taken during ARS...true?
3 months is when you can obtain a conclusive test result.
-yes i am aware of that. My question is this :

Is it certain that a test result is nonvalid if test is taken during ARS 'symptoms'?
'a six week test is a great indicator' -

But not during ARS, correct?
Hi there,

"Is it certain that a test result is nonvalid if test is taken during ARS 'symptoms'? " & "But not during ARS, correct? "

HIV test is NOT consider CONCLUSIVE anytime before 12 weeks.  Any test before 12 weeks is only a good indicator (they are valid and accurate at that time).

The presence of ARS symptoms have NOTHING to do with accuracy of test results.

ARS symptoms are NOT to be used as an indicator for risk assessment.  
Your symptoms are not specific to ARS. How, exactly, does your tongue ache?

Based on information from HIV specialists . . . Doctors at STD clinics . . .

A 3 month test is almost conclusive. You should do a follow up test at 6 months just in case you fall in that small percentage.

BTW - what exactly was your risk? just unprotected sex with a random girl at a bar? In the US, There are certain populations that have a higher risk for HIV (IV drug users, homosexuals, and CSWs). Stop worrying . . . it will cause almost every symptom related to primary HIV. Do something to take it off your mind.