HIV Prevention Community

Brief Exposure During condom burst

Dear
On Sunday 4 am had sex with a lady who I have discovered to be hiv+.All was fine until condom broken.  I withdrew immediately and went to clean my penis with plan water. I went to see a doctor who rem mended pep with combivir only due to the briefness of the exposures.  I tracked the lady before I commenced pep. We tested together she tested+ and went on to commence pep within 72 hour windows.  Please advise chances of infection.

Regards
Lu
It's not common to get infected by a co dom burst since you quickly realized it. PEP is extremely effective in preventing infection. Test at 4-6 weeks after completing your last dose and test again at 13 weeks to confirm your result. You should be fine.
Thanks. I guess can only be optimistic.