Confusing Information?

Most sites and experts state that MOST people show antibodies for HIV at one month but they also state that MOST people infected with HIV have some form of ARS symptoms as well. It is said that while you have symptomatic ARS you will probably test antibody negative even if infected. If this is true then how do MOST people test positive at one month post exposure? This seems to be conflicting information. I know people say symptoms are not reliable in determining HIV infection but some of what I am experiencing logically could not be anything else. It is going on seven weeks post exposure for me but I still have major abdominal cramping and pains, sore white toungue, diarrhea, sore throat, swollen glands in neck, nausea, I have lost over 10 pounds and my upper thighs are sore and weak. If this is ARS which I am sure it is, when can I expect to test positive? Mass hotline says 6.5 week test reliable but I find this difficult to believe in light of my symptoms.

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
there is no definite timing when should ARS appear..it varies from person to person..and some people dont even have any ARS symptoms..so whatever you are experiencing is most likely not ars as its already 7 weeks and its kinda late for anmy ars symptoms to be still lingering..
you can test now for a good indication of your status..test again at 13 weeks for a conclusive result..
dont assume your are positive unless it shows in the test...tatz what tests are for
Helpful - 0
I just came from my doctors office, on top of all my symptoms he diagnosed me with oral thrush and gave me some medicine for it. I know I have HIV now, I don't know what to do. I am going to lose my wife, family
Helpful - 0
I will post on here in a week or so when I test positive. Dr HHH is always stating that he has never seen a 6.5 week test turn positive, well I am proof that it happens. From one time unprotected vaginal and with a negative test at 45 days.
Helpful - 0
Stop the dramatics. You have no idea and no means to diagnose yourself with HIV or any disease for that matter. I myself have had oral thrush before, and yes I was diagnosed with it. Do I have HIV? No. Thousands of people have oral thrush- it is a common infection. Only a TINY TINY percentage with oral thrush actually have HIV. You will not know your status until you test at 3 months, and I am willing to bet it's going to be negative. Six and a half weeks is plenty of time for antibodies to appear- you just have to make sure you get your 3 month conclusive result. In the meantime, stop diagnosing yourself.
Helpful - 0
make sure you post your results it will help a bunch of people
Helpful - 0
I am sorry, I don't mean to be dramatic but when you have major abdominal cramping, diarrhea, sore throat, headaches, lost 14 pounds in two weeks, nausea, pain in upper thighs, my butt keeps getting itchy , red and sore when I sit down( like a fungal infection) all 4-6 weeks after unprotected vaginal sex and your doctor then diagnoses you with oral thrush for the first time in your life what would you expect? I have never felt this bad before in my life, I don't know how to describe it, all my skin feels itchy or different and my stomach constantly hurts. I also get what looks to be pink eye like everyday. If the oral thrush was do to acute hiv infection how long after it started should it be before I test positive?
Helpful - 0
stop Googling symptoms!!
it really makes you believe you have it..just relax and test at the appropriate time
Helpful - 0
oral trush in a hiv positive patient appeas much later in the course of the illness..not as early as your case..
dont worry!!! ppl in this forum come with numerous symptoms..many similar to urs only to be tested negative..
Helpful - 0
Hi england66,

I can understand the kind of anxiety you are feeling now, especially when you start to discover symptoms to go with your guilt. But first, calm down. You might have had thrush many times before in the past, and never took notice of it, because you weren't in a state of panic as you are now due to hiv. Your symptoms could very well have been caused by your severe anxiety.

Your 3 months test with be conclusive. But your 6.5 weeks test is pretty reliable as well.

Meanwhile, the best thing you can do now is to protect your wife by abstaining from vaginal sex, or using condoms if you must, until you receive your negative 3 month result.

I sincerely wish you all the best.

May God bless you

reallyregret
Helpful - 0
I appreciate the post but I don't know how to describe it properly, I am sure I am infected. I feel like something has attacked my whole body, I am weak, sore, nauseous, sweaty. The thrush, abdominal pains, fatigue, I've never had anything like this before . I feel like I am dying
Helpful - 0
Mate

Nobody had it worse than me....

I still tested negative @6,12.13,17 weeks negative with 4th generation kit...

I know its easier said than done,stop googling symptoms...

You will come out of this and you will have a happy life with your wife and kid

Just hang till 3 months...
Helpful - 0
When you say nobody had it worse than you, did you have diagnosed thrush, explosive diarrhea for two weeks, weight loss, swollen glands? What were your symptoms?
Helpful - 0
I was diagnosed with Pharyngitis,swollen nodes in neck & armpits, fever,wieght loss- 2Kgs

and you dont have fever...fever is almost always present in ars... hope it reduces your anxiety
Helpful - 0
the long and short of it is that MOST of the symptoms experienced by posters on this forum are psychosomatic.

psychosomatic:  of or pertaining to a physical disorder that is caused by or notably influenced by emotional factors

white tongue:  the tongue is NOT a pretty thing to start with and most everyone's tongue can look "white" at times.  the thing is...we dont go around sticking it out and examining it all the time looking for signs of hiv.

loosing weight:  usually brought on by anxiety which can strip one of their appetite.  also staying on the computer for hours on end and not eating regularly can cause someone to loose weight.

diarrhea:  DEFINITELY a huge symptom of anxiety and fear

swollen nodes:  can be caused by prodding them all the time to see if they are swollen  (most ppl, when seen by a dr...dont actually have swollen nodes...they just think they do)

thrush:  caused by things other than hiv (antibiotics/steroids, etc)

i could go on and on about how the mind can produce all the symptoms that you are experiencing...BUT my time would be futile, since you have convinced yourself that you have hiv, despite your 6+ weeks negative result WHICH IS HIGHLY UNLIKELY TO CHANGE.

so bottom line is regardless of everything we have told you...it is of no use ! ! !  what i can tell you is that we cannot babysit you through this and there is no need for you to continue to list your so called symptoms.

you can test at 3 months for your conclusive test result.  until then...GET OFF THE COMPUTER AND STOP ADDING FUEL TO THE FIRE OF YOUR ANXIETY ! ! !

Helpful - 0
I am sorry, and you are right this is pointless and not helping myself in any way at all. I am just stressed and scared because I had such a good life and can't believe I have thrown that all away. I don't have anywhere to turn to and have misused this forum. For that I am truly sorry and I will not post here again until I get my results back.
Helpful - 0
I was given medicine to gurgle with last week for my thrush and it has not helped at all. My tongue is way worse now and my chest hurts too. I am continuing to lose weight in my face, waist and legs too. I seem to be going into serious immune decline with no reponse. What is happening to me? I also am getting weird dry, scaly rashes on my elbows, the skin is all rough and flaky. I am so scared, how can HIV affect me so quickly? Why isn't my immune system working?
Helpful - 0
what does loosing weight in your face, waist and legs have to do with anything?  dont tell me you've been reading about "wasting"...lol...that is caused from the meds ! ! !

scaly rashes on elbows?  skin is rough and flaky?  try lotion...not hiv related.
Helpful - 0
I don't think what I am experiencing is funny at all, the thrush is definite and pronounced and is unaffected by the Nystatin that I was given from my Doctor. It is affecting my chest now as well, and when the thrush is really bad in my mouth I also seem to get a pink , uncomfortable rash on my butt . My butt looks like it has diaper rash and it hurts to sit on it but it is not permanent, comes and goes.
Helpful - 0
nothing more to add that hasnt already been said repeatedly.
Helpful - 0
Hi england66,

Since you have truly been at risk, there is really nothing much that anyone can do for you right now other than to give you advice on the appropriate time period for testing, and to root for you when you are going for your test.

Of course it isn't funny at all especially for the person who is experiencing possible symptoms after he/she has had a possible risky activity. Hiv is after all a serious issue.

But step back and look, you have been taken very seriously all this while, and LIZZIE has given you a very comprehensive answer on your questions in a very long post on Sep 24 in a bid to ease your anxiety and to provide you with information. Adding a little bit of humour after that to lighten your mood is in no way a sign brushing off your concerns.

The bottom line is, you should get tested at 3 months, and if it is negative (which we all hope it will be), then you can come back and have a good laugh with LIZZIE.

Can you do that england66?

May God bless

reallyregret
Helpful - 0
Yes I can, but it won't be negative
Helpful - 0
Well that's the spirit...

You really are being over dramatic about this. I understand that you are scared, and you are doing the right thing by getting tested. Chances are hugely in your favor that you will remain negative, especially since this was a one-time encounter and you have already had a negative test at 6.5 weeks! There are many doctors that would say that is proof you did not get HIV considering your low risk to begin with. Just try to remain calm and wait it out until 3 months has elapsed.

You are very obviously constantly googling symptoms of HIV and then SURPRISINGLY finding every single symptom in yourself. Facial wasting, as Lizzie said, is a side effect of taking medications for HIV infection, not from the infection itself!!! But since you read that, you decided you are "losing weight in your face." I would not be surprised at all if this and almost every other symptom you have listed is entirely in your head.

You have to look at this from both angles- you could be negative. Stop just thinking you are positive and take both viewpoints in stride. Instead of assuming the worst, hope for the best. There is no harm done to you whatsoever in hoping for the best. You have clearly prepared yourself already for the worst, so now also prepare yourself for what you will do if indeed you are negative!

AND STOP GOOGLING SYMPTOMS!!! Go outside and take a walk and clear your head.
Helpful - 0
I had a negative rapid test today which is 51 days or 7.2 weeks
Helpful - 0
I am sorry to post again but I am so scared I don't know what to do. I am planning on going for a test today I think,as I can't take much more of this. I still have oral thrush (diagnosed by doctor) that has not gone away after almost two weeks. I feel extremely sick to my stomach, abdominal cramping, sore glands, still losing weight and no appetite. I have really messed up and in my head I know that I am positive but once I get the result I will lose everyone that is important to me. I feel backed into a corner that I did to myself and I have no way out. I just don't understand why my immune system is not kicking in, or why I am getting so ill so fast?
Helpful - 0
2

You are reading content posted in the HIV Prevention Community