DISCORDANT COUPLES

Dear Med Help i'm concerned about the phenomenon of discordant couples i.e the male being hiv positive while the female remains negative despite repeated unprotected sex.I had intercourse with a girlfriend who tested positive but im HIV negative after 6months as from today.

My dr told me she has a couple where the husband is positive but the lady is negative and she has been their family dr for 3 years.

Can these people test positive on an advanced test such as a DNA/RNA PCR?
Read more
Follow
Upvote - 0
No. HIV is not easy to transmit and it is easier for a female to get it then a male in a hetro relationship. Use condoms with waterbased lube and you should not have too much of a concern.

Your 6 month test was well beyond conclusive if 6 months ago was the last time you had unprotected sex with her.

And it is entirly possible for one to be negative and one to be positive for years of unprotected sex, but not a wise thing to do because it can take only 1 time.