HIV Prevention Community

Determining whether I have come into contact with HIV or Mono. Is it just the Flu?

it was the 28th of November...I sat down with a girl and we started to kiss, everything was fine, then it got more intense and she suggested that i lick her vagina. She wasn't very wet at all and i only licked her clitoris, i showed her my lack of interest in this after a few seconds, and she was fine with it. I quickly remembered that i have two gaping cavities in my wisdom teeth....After a while i realized the consequences of this, and began to have a great deal of anxiety. i started to develop these symptoms, and I thought it was the flu, but when i got the dark coloration on the corners of my lips i feared the worst. I began to read to find out if Mono could be the cause, but i have yet to find out if Mono causes purplish/bluish colors on the lips. And i dont even know if a sore throat can cause that.

As of now i have dark colors on the inside of my upper and lower lips, as well as on my cheeks.  

Aside from this discoloration, ive been experiencing the symptoms of Mononucleosis and/or HIV. Its just that the symptoms arent coming all together, an they disappear and come back. The muscle fatigue has been persistent though.  Im praying to god that this is mono, but im hoping its just a case of the flu.

please help me out.
Why do i keep developing symptoms?  Likely because you keep thinking about it and anxiety symptoms take over your mind and body. Your symptoms are not due to HIV because you NEVER had a risk.

Talk to your doctor about your symptoms if they continue to be an issue

you had NO risk from what you have described.

furthermore...the "symptoms" that you are speaking of are NOT hiv related.
Even if the person i was in contact with DID have HIV? Having a cavity is really is a concern to me. here is a list of the recent symptoms symptoms in the order that they came;

sore throat(that has gone away), nausea(now gone), muscle weakness, joint pain, Anxiety, fatigue, those sores and colors in my mouth, mucous in stool,  bleeding gums, Headache(probably caused from stress).

I know these aren't the typical wikipedia symptoms, but the ones i do ARE related to the symptoms of HIV and Mono, and hopefully just an annoying case of the Flu.
Adding to that list is my, Enlarged lymph nodes, severe persistent Chest pain on my left side and near my sternum(that has gone away). When i said, "ive been experiencing the symptoms of Mononucleosis and/or HIV, this is the kind of thing i was referring to.
As you  have been advised, you never had an exposure.
I trust your knowledge, but Could you explain to me why? Im not one for simple answers. Im sitting here, self diagnosing with sore muscles, a burning perineum, a tight chest, large lymph nodes, a weak body, and strange but not uncommon colors in my mouth. Im no expert, you are the expert.

Explaining to you my symptoms, what else am i supposed to do? Telling me i "never had an exposure" after telling you when i may have been exposed, should clearly say that i very well May have been exposed. Im telling you the symptoms i have, and i told you when exposure may have happened. Wouldn't that indicate that there is a possibility of infection? I dont Want to be infected. Help me understand why you believe, from the information that i gave you, that i am not at risk.

'it was the 28th of November...I sat down with a girl and we started to kiss"
HIV IS NOT TRANSMITTED BY KISSING.

" i only licked her clitoris"
HIV IS NOT TRANSMITTED BY ORAL SEX

Int Conf AIDS 2004 Jul 11-16; 15:(abstract no. WePpC2072)??Balls JE, Evans JL, Dilley J, Osmond D, Shiboski S, Shiboski C, Klausner J, McFarland W, Greenspan D, Page-Shafer K?University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, United States

Oral transmission of HIV, reality or fiction? An update
J Campo1, MA Perea1, J del Romero2, J Cano1, V Hernando2, A Bascones1
Oral Diseases (2006) 12, 219–228

AIDS: Volume 16(17) 22 November 2002 pp 2350-2352
Risk of HIV infection attributable to oral sex among men who have sex with men and in the population of men who have sex with men

Page-Shafer, Kimberlya,b; Shiboski, Caroline Hb; Osmond, Dennis Hc; Dilley, Jamesd; McFarland, Willie; Shiboski, Steve Cc; Klausner, Jeffrey De; Balls, Joycea; Greenspan, Deborahb; Greenspan
Page-Shafer K, Veugelers PJ, Moss AR, Strathdee S, Kaldor JM, van Griensven GJ. Sexual risk behavior and risk factors for HIV-1 seroconversion in homosexual men participating in the Tricontinental Seroconverter Study, 1982-1994 [published erratum appears in Am J Epidemiol 1997 15 Dec; 146(12):1076]. Am J Epidemiol 1997, 146:531-542.

Studies which show the fallacy of relying on anecdotal evidence as opposed to carefully controlled study insofar as HIV transmission risk is concerned:

Jenicek M. "Clinical Case Reporting" in Evidence-Based Medicine. Oxford: Butterworth–Heinemann; 1999:117
Saltzman SP, Stoddard AM, McCusker J, Moon MW, Mayer KH. Reliability of self-reported sexual behavior risk factors for HIV infection in homosexual men. Public Health Rep. 1987 102(6):692–697.Nov–Dec;

Catania JA, Gibson DR, Chitwood DD, Coates TJ. Methodological problems in AIDS behavioral research: influences on measurement error and participation bias in studies of sexual behavior. Psychol Bull. 1990 Nov;108(3):339–362.
There is no debate (among experts) about the HIV risks associated with oral sex. The risk is so low that almost nobody who cares for HIV infected patients has ever had a patient believed to have been infected that way. Among experts, it's a semantic issue about using terms like "no risk" and "very low risk". There is no difference between my or Dr. Hook's use of "low risk" and other experts' "no risk".
DR. HANSFIELD
"And oral sex is basically safe sex -- completely safe with respect to HIV and although not zero risk for other STDs, the chance of infection is far lower than for unprotected vaginal or anal sex. Please educate yourself about the real risks. If you stick with oral sex and condom-protected vaginal or anal sex, you have no HIV worries and very little worry about other STDs. " DR HANSFIELD
"I am sure you can find lots of people who belive that HIV is transmitted by oral sex, but you will not find scientific data to support this unrealistic concern..." DR HOOK
"HIV is not spread by touching, masturbation, oral sex or condom protected sex."- DR. HOOK
in the public HIV Prevention forum of MedHelp, TEAK and the other moderators maintain that oral sex in all forms is a zero risk activity. Would you agree with this assessment?
I TOTALLY AGREE / DR GARCIA
"The observation on thousands and thousands of observations is that HIV is not spread by oral sex (of any sort)." DR HOOK

Dude, im fully aware of the facts of oral sex, and i thank you for your response, but my main concern here is having cavities. An open hole in my mouth. ... lets just say for example my gums were bleeding at the time. what would the risk be? Still no risk?

How many people have you talked to that were concerned about having HIV that actually ended up having it? Would you say that it is more likely that i am infected with Mono? Im still having these symptoms, they arent going away for the most part, and something is obviously causing them.

If oral sex is "safe sex" then why is it still discussed as a risk? Just because it Is an act of sex and there is a "chance" of transmission?

If i were to go to a doctor based solely on my symptoms, not mentioning to him HIV, or anything of the sort, what would he diagnose me with? What would he suggest i do?  Once i Did mention to him the potential for HIV infection, Then what would the doctor do? what would he recommend i do? And how would that change his perception of my symptoms?

this is the perspective im coming from.
lets just say for example my gums were bleeding at the time. what would the risk be? - Still no risk

How many people have you talked to that were concerned about having HIV that actually ended up having it? From Oral sex, NONE even with bleeding gums etc.

Im still having these symptoms, they arent going away for the most part, and something is obviously causing them. Yes "something" is BUT it is not HIV

If oral sex is "safe sex" then why is it still discussed as a risk? Just because it Is an act of sex and there is a "chance" of transmission?  Out dated data and risk in "Theory"

We do not know what is causing your symptoms, What we do know is that it is NOT HIV

Work with you doctor to find the cause of your symptoms

Hope this helps...

Could you explain it to me more technically, instead of "No, no risk"? Its making me feel good that you are all confident that i am most likely safe. but from my own standpoint, i i have gingivitis and my "good bacteria" flora in my mouth is not so good. im severely lacking in dental hygiene and at the time i was taking control of that. i had my cavities filled, which was supposed to raise the "good bacteria", and balanced acid in my saliva. but i still had unfilled cavities in teeth that, at the time, were going to be pulled out. So my Ph balance was not Good.  And the acidity in my mouth was not like a normal person. You guys seem to be very knowledgeable, and it seems that a healthy mouth is incapable of receiving HIV to infect a person. Does an unhealthy mouth, make it any more likely to become infected Orally? because that is my situation.  

I read quite a few Posts from various people, stating things like, and i quote "A girl ejaculated into my mouth, am i at risk for HIV?" and the reply was "There is no risk for HIV, HIV can not be transmitted orally."  I see this and think, "Its true that HIV can not live outside of its host. But if its a liquid going directly into another person, then its not really leaving the host, its just entering a new potential host."  

My thoughts are Wrong, right?

So by Typical "rational" logic, if a woman that is HIV+ is dripping wet and i lick off and swallow all of her fluid, i will not be at risk for being infected with HIV, Because the fluid on the outside of her body has been exposed to air? And even after inserting my tongue into her vagina where there has been no contact with air(which is the manner in which HIV dies) i would still have no risk of being infected with HIV? Because Saliva has an acidity level that prevents HIV from being transmitted orally! correct?

So how would you consider a person with an abnormal acidity level in their saliva? Are they at risk?

Id really like to avoid talking to my doctor about this, so forgive my persistence. If i were to get tested, it would be at a walk in/free clinic. Im just trying to get as much information from people that Know what they are talking about, to get a better understanding of the things i already know.

if a woman that is HIV+ is dripping wet and i lick off and swallow all of her fluid, i will not be at risk for being infected with HIV - Correct

And even after inserting my tongue into her vagina where there has been no contact with air(which is the manner in which HIV dies) i would still have no risk of being infected with HIV? Correct - In a vigina the HIV virus is found WAY up inside., Plus yes the air and temp change would inactivate the virus.

So how would you consider a person with an abnormal acidity level in their saliva? Are they at risk? NO

HIV is transmitted via
Unprotected vaginal and anal sex
IV drug users
Mother to child

As you can see you did not do any of the above activitys

NO RISK = NO TESTING = NO WORRIES

Hope this helps
I just want to quick say that, I keep getting new symptoms. the insides of my lips are getting blotchy red sores. And im getting short of breath and tight chested. these two symptoms together came at the same time. Why do i keep developing symptoms?