Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.6k Members

Did I Contract It

Last night I had unprotected sex with a female who tested HIV positive some years ago. Oral sex and vaginal pentration and kissing. She told me that her HIV is dormant and that while I may want to use protection, it's more difficult to contract it from a female. She also stated that her HIV is sow low as to be now undetectable. I need information on the likelihood that I contracted it last night, what I need to do to protect myself and what I don't have to worry about. I would like to continue a relationship with this woman so I want to protect myself and her feelings as well.
30 Responses
186166 tn?1385262982
a person who is hiv positive...EVEN WITH AN UNDETECTABLE VIRAL LOAD...is still infectious and can transmit hiv.

how to protect yourself????  should have worn a condom.

no one here can tell you if you were infected...so you will need to test to know your status.  a test at 3 months is conclusive.
846637 tn?1273803080
as lizzie said ..even an undetectable viral load ..doesn't mean there is no virus in her vaginla fluid...   its very hard to tell that u r infected or not..there are odds but.. u r at risk...1/1000 in one unprotected vaginal sex with one hiv positive person.. so get tested .. an better wear condom next time..  
366749 tn?1544698865
COMMUNITY LEADER
You went unprotected even after knowing that she is +ve,,"some years ago", she is still +ve because HIV's association becomes lifelong once it invades.
If it was just last night, seek an immediate medical help and see an expert doctor on HIV, he might decide PEP for you because your exposure was with a confirmed +ver partner.
start PEP from ER right now. It is 72 hours effective and PEP has 83% positive protection.
Yes unfortunately, your only option for Post Exposure Prophylaxis over this weekend will be ER departments unfortunately. They are not the ideal provider to be administering PEP, but time is of the essence to get started.

On Monday morning, I would contact this girl's Infectious Disease doctor and explain what happened. He/she would have a better understanding if a PEP regimen is really necessary for you, given that they know the extent of the control of her infection.

While nobody is advocating your decision to have unprotected sex, control of viral load does reduce the risk of infection.
846631 tn?1238912383
check with her/your doctor immediately (within 72 hours) whether they rekon PEP.

Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.