HIV Prevention Community

Different Countries' HIV Regulations

I'm an avid reader of your forum, especially reading about the HIV sites since they are very helpful and highly informative. However, I never imagine that I would be writing to you. But now I did. I don't know if you'd ever answer my query because by reading the many forums from the people asking you questions, some even wrote for the 15th times just to get a reply from you. I know your reasons are because most of the questions are asked and answered in this forum already, however, I'd just like to let you know that most of the time an answer from an expert like you certainly in a way ease our concerns.

I am a Singaporean living in Jakarta, Indonesia for the past 5 years and recently I've had an exposure the condom slipped and maybe exposed my penis briefly while "pulling out".

Worried sick with HIV, I went to several clinics proven to be amongts the best in Jakarta and got myself tested. However, when I asked them about HIV (since I am fully aware from reading tons of information in this forum), none of them can give me straight, convincing answers. The answers were varied from one clinic to another. I know I can just go back to Singapore and get tested there for more qualititative result but work won't permit me from taking a leave. Here are the answers I got:

1)
Clinic A told me that it will take up to 5-10 years for me to be able to test. This clinic told me that they use MEIA or something instead of ELISA. When I asked them what instruments they use to perform this test, they told me they don't know.

2)
Clinic B told me to get tested at 6 months to 1 year's time. And why I asked, she then told me that the point of getting an HIV test is to get a "Positive" result. She also said her clinic's ELISA is the most sensitive one in town. I was shocked. It's so different to what I've been reading on the forums.

3)
Clinic C, which I went, told me that they are using ELISA 3rd generation test, so I decided to get myself tested at the following times:
1-week     (7-days)    : ELISA Negative
6-week     (42-days)  : ELISA Negative
10-week   (72-days)  : ELISA Negative

Now, onto my questions:

A)
Do you think that America (where you are now) and Indonesia's test apparatus/instruments/ELISA are different? Is Indonesia's instruments used are older than America's instruments? Is America more accurate than Indonesia's, thus Indonesia's tests are not reliable?

B)
I also tested "Borderline" for IgM HSV-2.

C)
Do you think that my tests in the 10-week being Negative is good enough with this clinic, considering my IgM HSV 2 is "borderline"? I checked with the doctors at www.thebody.com, they said that testing at even 4-week is NOT even accurate (75% detectable), even at 10-week it is NOT accurate too. They say it only "pretty convincing or very encouraging, but never OK). What do you think my chances are of being HIV Positive after a Negative Result at 10-week? (The Doctor told me to wait for another 11 months to complete a 12-months result).

D)
I plan to get tested at the 3-month mark (90 days exactly) according to your advice. What do you think my percentage is for being Negative?

Please enlighten me regarding this matter, and I hope this questions are informative for the readers in this forum too. I really hope that you have the time to answer me since I've asked hundreds of people (all doctors, or at least people with medical experience), yet I haven't got any single satisfactory response.

Thank you,

Auw Kam Liang

1. False and incorrect information.
2. Incorrect information 3 months is conclusive for a "Real" exposure
3. see 2.
A. tests are reliable the information given to you was incorrect.
B. has nothing to do with an HIV test
C. see 2 above
D. you didn't have a risk loosing the condom on withdraw. Next time keep hold of the condom when you withdraw.