Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
53.5k Members

Doctor Advice

On November 22, I had protected vaginal intercourse and unprotected oral sex with a female sex worker, as well as kissing. About 6 days later I developed a low grade fever, sore throat and fatigue. Typical panic ensued, went to the doctor, got all the tests, all came back negative excpet the Igm for HSV. All symptoms subsided until about a week later when the sore throat returned. Went back to the doctor, she wanted to test for strep and syphyllis, both negative, and redid the HSV test, which also came back negative (HSV igM 0.65, HSV 1&2 IgG screen 0.32). Gave me antibiotics for the throat, and they worked. Took the Home Access Express elisa test 44 days after exposure, negative. Now, 7 weeks after exposure my fever and sore throat are back. My fever has never been more than 99.6. I've checked the boards and read similar posts, but obviously, I can't stop obsessing. Would it benefit me to get a PCR test? There's no way I can just wait 5 more weeks to take another antibody test.
1 Responses
You didn't have a risk and didn't need the first test let alonge any other testing.  
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544695265
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1595629445
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.