HIV Prevention Community

Does it feel like HIV is coming up around you?

Lately it seems like HIV is coming up around- on tv and the news. I saw two stories in the last week on yahoo. Queen Latifah is coming out with a movie- her character is an hiv women. On the commercials Trojan has commercials about HIV and the red phone percent of sales goes to AIDS in Africa. Maybe it's just me but it makes me more scared and nervous while waiting for my test result. Am I experiencing anxiety?
I saw HIV reports/programs/news on TV for at least 10 times in the past month.  Wierd.  Even an interview of some totally irrelevant person will talk about his/her donation to some AIDS association...
Those commercials and interview have been there for years.  You're just noticing them because you're scared.  I went through the same thing
How do you deal with getting freaked out that you see the commercials and other info around you? Now every time I see or hear something about hiv or AIDS- I feel scared and all worried. I'm now waiting any day to hear about my test result and I am unbelievable scared to call. My heart beats so fast and I become all shaky.
I don't get freaked out by advertisements at all anymore.  My anxiety is much more deep seeded than that at this point.  You'll get over it.  As far as your test results go, just get it over with.  You'll be doing back hand springs in no time.  I remember when I would go to test, I would drive away from my house thinking it would be the last time I slept there after I had to come home to tell my wife the bad news.  Well, that was April 24, 2006.  That was my second of 15 tests out to and including one on February 15, 2007.  Just over 15 month past possible exposure.  So to answer your question, the ads don't mean a thing.  Again, they've always been there...you'll realize it soon.
You tested out 15 times? why?
HIV has always been in the press, media and news but because you are focusing on it so much it is more apparant to you.

The front page news of a London paper yesterday was "LONDON HIV CASES UP 50% IN FIVE YEARS-More than 40,000 infected" I freaked out even though my encounter did not involve someone who is from London.
i agree commercials,adds, anything in relation to hiv set me off in a panic attack, inside myself, i had to show a different face.hey johnny, what was your exposure if you dont mind me asking, i know your negative and just out curiousity what made you test out 15 mos.
Its like if you are trying to have a baby, or are pregnant, all of a sudden you see pregnant women everywhere.  
Symptoms, it's as simple as that. (Well, I guess possibly too that I'm dreadfully afraid of infecting my wife).  This burning skin thing and white tongue and light sweating on my upper back is killing me.  I have had an endoscopy, colonoscopy. My doctors just don't know what it is.  Believe me, please believe me, if I didn't have these symptoms.  If I felt normal.  I would forget about this whole thing.  I realize that 15 times out to 15 months past sounds crazy.
That's exactly why I started freaking out later on about the whole HIV thing. I'm getting married soon and we're getting tests- I know should've thought about that before getting involved. But I didn't have anything serious- but I did have some symptoms that started less then a week after only 40 seconds of unprotected sex. But I'm not sure if that's too soon for a cold with diarrhea and some pimples on my buttocks. And I had a red circle on my outer thigh. But it lasted for weeks and I read that an HIV rash is usually on the upper torso and goes away around 2-4 weeks.

I'm calling again today to see if my test result is ready and I'm extremely nervous- I even get shaky while making the call.
Do yourself a favor.  Go onto google or yahoo and go to images.  Then write in HIV rash.  It shows a picture of it.  It doesn't sounds like you have anything close to that.  
Oh, I've done that and freaked out when I thought the red mark was the rash associated with AIDS. But then read and saw how there is more of the rash and how some websites said where the rash was located. Do you consider pimples a rash? Or a red circle on the outer thigh a rash?
I don't consider either a rash.  When do you pick up you test results, and how many weeks out is it?  And who bangs for only 40 seconds?  By the way, I have researched HIV for a year now.  I have read so much literature by doctors, experts, and knowledgable posters.  I probably know more about this disease than most on this forum, but I still feel I have no business giving any kind of advice to anyone.  Look at me.  I'm still obsessed and anxious about something I've tested negative enough times to make the Guiness Book of World Records.  
LOL- the sex wasn't 40 seconds, only the unprotected- I had him put on a condom after. But I understand why you'd still be nervous but 15 tests, I think you're safe :) Well the unprotected sex was last April so I'm not worried about having enough time- I know some worry after a week of the unprotected sex.
Where are you from?
I'm from America- north coast.
I'm in SoCal.  
If we keep talking so much, we might just have to start seeing each other.  Of course we can only have unprotected sex after your negative test result comes back. LOL
You fool lol- you really think after hearing my situation that I'll be negative?
Of course I do.  I really do.  Let me ask you.  You know my testing history.  Do you think I'm negative?  If so, let's make a deal.....
I think you're negative but not so sure about the deal part. I don't wanna bring any bad luck upon myself or anyone else. But I think that the symptoms are driving you nuts, right? And for me while I have different symptoms that many think happened too soon and the rash doesn't completely match the HIV rash, that's the reason why I started to think almost a year later about stuff. I agree on needing mental help because I think I need it. Last week I was crying because I was so scared/worried about losing my fiance and the whole what if thing. That's one of the reasons I came on here- was to talk about my situation and see what others think. Little bummed only one answer on my thread :(

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/HIVSupport/messages/1347.html
Don't worry, I was kidding about the "deal" thing.  That's the last thing either of us needs on our plate right now.  I would have answered your post just as Dobber21 did, but I really don't believe I have any authority to do so.  Yes, I have done extensive research on the subject for a year now, but I'm not a doctor.  All I can do is share my experience and possibly comment when I can.  Besides, when people read about my testing history, they think I'm crazy and wouldn't take me seriously anyway.  I do believe you will be fine though, if it's worth anything.
Thanks- if you don't mind my asking- why do you think I'll be negative? Because it was 40 seconds or because I got sick in less then a week after and they say it's around 2-6 weeks...
Actually, for both reasons.  Unless he was so close to "blowing his load" (sorry for being so blunt) after 40 seconds, that he had precum coming out, your risk is almost negligible.  Was there tons of foreplay before.  I'm sorry for asking, but you know what I'm getting at.  Hiv is not easy to transmit.  As far as you cold and the trots went, yes, I think it was way too early.