HIV Prevention Community

Don't understand my ex boyfriend HIV test

So my ex boyfriend showed me his test and it said negative to everything except HIV. It said <.9  equivocal. What does this mean? He told me it meant negative but if it did then why wouldn't they just put negative? I haven't had sex with him but I need to know what this means. PLEASE HELP ME... Would appreciate it so much! Thanks!
His test result is negative--1.0 is positive.He does not have HIV.
not trying to question what you say about how do you know that? because what i read was that equivocal meant you had to get retested.
I know that because i have seen many results and your bfs result is negative.It should have said negative on the result paper.
have you ever seen one that said <.9  equivocal before?
COMMUNITY LEADER
An Equivocal test, by definition is an indeterminate test, neither negative, nor positive. However if the test was done after the recommended window period, in most cases this is because the test has found some random antibodies which have nothing to do with HIV.

He got the test done 3 months after he had sex with the last person. so does that mean he could not have anything. and I thought if the reading didn't say a positive or negative you had to go back for a proper reading
Yes,many times and they were all negative.If it is of a real concern to you purchase an over the counter rapid test and obtain the results in just 20 minutes--I assume you live in the USA.
yes i do. where can you buy them?
You can buy them at wallmart or any pharmacy would stock them aswell.
do you no what the name of it would be
Oraquick HIV rapid test kit in a blue & white box approved by the FDA.