Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.4k Members

Don't understand my ex boyfriend HIV test

So my ex boyfriend showed me his test and it said negative to everything except HIV. It said <.9  equivocal. What does this mean? He told me it meant negative but if it did then why wouldn't they just put negative? I haven't had sex with him but I need to know what this means. PLEASE HELP ME... Would appreciate it so much! Thanks!
16 Responses
His test result is negative--1.0 is positive.He does not have HIV.
not trying to question what you say about how do you know that? because what i read was that equivocal meant you had to get retested.
I know that because i have seen many results and your bfs result is negative.It should have said negative on the result paper.
have you ever seen one that said <.9  equivocal before?
366749 tn?1544698865
COMMUNITY LEADER
An Equivocal test, by definition is an indeterminate test, neither negative, nor positive. However if the test was done after the recommended window period, in most cases this is because the test has found some random antibodies which have nothing to do with HIV.

He got the test done 3 months after he had sex with the last person. so does that mean he could not have anything. and I thought if the reading didn't say a positive or negative you had to go back for a proper reading
have you ever seen one that said <.9  equivocal before?
Yes,many times and they were all negative.If it is of a real concern to you purchase an over the counter rapid test and obtain the results in just 20 minutes--I assume you live in the USA.
yes i do. where can you buy them?
You can buy them at wallmart or any pharmacy would stock them aswell.
do you no what the name of it would be
Oraquick HIV rapid test kit in a blue & white box approved by the FDA.
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.