Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.6k Members

False Positive HIV Test

I am 40yr old heterosexual female, and i have been in a relationship for 2yrs, and i have not slept with another man.  My boyfriend and I did break up a couple months ago due to possible cheating on his end, which he denies.  Two weeks ago i go in for my annual physical, and my Dr. does the full blood work including STD's, i suffer from anxiety, so he is aware that i want to check for everything.  I get call back that my HIV 1/2 ag/ab test came back reactive, but HIV 1&2 ABS DIFF came back negative, a third test was suppose to have been done, but they did not have enough blood to test, i have schedule an appointment to go and get HIV RNA test.  According to my Dr this is a false positive and i should not worry.  But ofcourse I am worried, and as i stated before i suffer from anxiety.  Can i take my Dr's word and take this as a False Positive?
4 Responses
If it's already been a couple of months ((over 2 or 3 months)) after your last sex with your boyfriend, then you would have antibodies for sure. That is why the antibody portion of the test trumps anything else. However, since there is a reactive result, it is just logical to get tested again. Try to keep calm and expect a negative on your next test.

When was your last exposure by the way ?
1 Comments
I've been with him for 2yrs, we have sex on a regular basis.  We broke up 2 month ago but quickly got back together, due to possible cheating on his part, but he denies that he has cheated.  Last time i got tested was right before he and i got together, neither one of us use drugs for the exception of the occasional joint, i do not sleep around, we both drink but socially.
I missed something. If you were negative for antibodies on a second test, and it has already been 3 months post your last exposure, why does your doctor want a third test ?
Please bear in mind that the RNA is quite expensive, and if a second test was negative for antibodies ((in the right time frame)), then it should have been regarded as your confirmatory result.
Please ask your doctor about this.
1 Comments
My boyfriend and I got back together, and we have sex unprotected all the time.  We broke up for a short time 2 months ago, but like i said we got back together, and we  have sex regularly, im worried that maybe he gave it to me, just recently.
I'm sorry, my internet is a bit slow today. I just saw your second comment.
The guidelines are 12 weeks, but an 8 week negative has never been seen to turn positive later on.
If I were you, I would just get another antibody test at 12 weeks to fulfill the guidelines and put this behind me.
Anyway, the important thing is that you are "almost 100%" negative, and any action you take from here on would just be a confirmation of that. But again, since it isn't 3 months yet, some sort of confirmation test is still required.
1 Comments
What would cause a false positive?  Does this scenario sound like high risk situation?  Im trying not to freak out, my appointment is for Monday, and will have to wait another week for my results.  I cant afford to let my anxiety get to me.
I'm sorry, my internet is a bit slow and so am I today.

Look, if you have doubts while being with ANYONE, then you should use protection. It's as simple as that. If you feel you've had a risk, the only sure way to know is an antibody test at 12 weeks post exposure.

As for the previous tests, the second one rules, but if you still have doubts about him ((due to any reason)) and are having unprotected sex with him again,  then you have to try to make the right decisions.
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.