HIV Prevention Community

Four weeks of sore throat and swollen nodes, HIV??

To say the least I'm terrified. I had vaginal sex with an escort 9/27, the condom appeared to slip off. After a few days I had an STI, epiditimytis. On 10/27 I performed oral sex on my girlfriend. That next day I got sore throat and swollen lymph nodes that haven't gone away since. I had her get tested and everything came up negative. I took an Oraquick at 5.5 weeks and was negative. But to have these symptoms for so long is really concerning. In my heart I just know this must be HIV, I want nothing more than to be wrong. Could this be anything else? I want to test again in January. It'll be after the 12 week mark. I'm mostly waiting so I don't ruin the holidays for anyone with the news I'm expecting
I didn't ejaculate in her but she did give me oral sex after. I've never had a fever or rash. It's hard to say anything about aches since I had issues with epiditimytis for almost 5 weeks. I think I'm getting a cold now as the past few days I've a stuffy nose, but I've been emotional the past few days so it could have to do with that too.
I don't get your concern?  What do you mean by the condom appeared to slip off?  Did you remain inside her unprotected?  Or did the condom come off as you withdrew?  It would make a big difference in my assessment.

If the head of your penis remained covered until you were out of her vagina you have no worries for HIV.  Even if the condom remained inside her.  

In addition what is with the dooms day scenario?  Most escorts are very knowledgeable about HIV.  Perhaps as much as we are in this forum.  The fact she wanted to use condoms decreases your risk ten fold.  It tells me she is being safe.  

The chance she has HIV are very unlikely to begin with.  Also your negative at 5 and a half weeks is an EXCELENT indicator that you are fine.  

If you need peace of mind so the "what ifs" don't take over your life follow up with another antibody test anytime past 8 weeks for a conclusive result.  If you want to wait till the 12 week benchmark for definitive results by all means do so.  However, a negative result after 8 weeks will not change.  Especially, with the miniscule at best risk you describe.

Take care.
Thank you for the quick comment.

During intercourse my penis became flaccid enough for the condom to come off and to penetrate unprotected

My concern is that the 4 weeks of swollen lymph nodes in my neck along with sore throat are symptoms of acute HIV.

This escort, along with the girl who walked her to my door, told me this was her first time being an escort (debatable information from her). She was only 20 years old, her lack of experience gives me a feeling of lack of knowledge in protection. The fact that I received an STI clinically gives me more vulnerability to receiving HIV as well showing that the window of getting an STI also shows I was vulnerable to anything else.

I guess what I'm trying to do is have someone tell me I'm negative, which only a test can do. I just can't stop researching and googling every little thing to show this is something else or nothing at all and being cause by anxiety and I'm just not finding anything favorable.
Two pieces of advice.  You have a test result that is about 90% accurate(depending on who you ask).  So it is not like you are flying blind.  Wait till the 12 week mark(8-9 weeks would be good enough) for peace of mind.  That will get rid of the "what ifs".

Second,  GET OFF THE INTERNET!!!!!!!!!!  Stop trying to self diagnose yourself.  Symptoms mean nothing.  Find a hobby, bury yourself in work, whatever it takes to put this out of your mind till you reach your test date.

If all else fails come back here and re-read what I have told you.  I am totally confident you will be negative.