Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Geographic Tongue and Erythmatous Glossitis

When does erythmatous glossitis typically appear in an HIV infected individual ? Is it a symptom of ARS? Or does it present in the advanced stages of HIV? Also, I had my mouth examined today and was unable to pose these questions to my doctor, as i am in the army and we typically get rushed in and out of the office.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
anyone?
Helpful - 0
?
Helpful - 0
Have never had it.
Helpful - 0
There is a lot of confusion when discussing HIV symptoms because the ARS (initial acute infection) and long term advanced HIV disease are two very different things.

ARS is highly variable but typically starts 2-3 weeks after exposure, lasts 1-2 weeks and sometimes longer, and from what I've gleamed from the experts usually involves a fever (typically high and "noticeable" I hear) along with sore throat and sometimes a rash and generalized lymph node swelling in neck, armpits, and groins. Oral manifestations however are not generally part of ARS (despite some internet websites symptoms lists).

Oral thrush and leukoplakia are two oral symptoms that are seen in people with advanced HIV disease and from what I hear are hard to mistake (thrush being painful and leukoplakia being impossible to "scrape" off.) I believe by this point people are generally pretty sick and have other things to worry about than these.

If you are in the Army I can tell you from experience that you have been tested for HIV - atleast at MEPPS prior to basic training or in any SRP prior to a deployment. This pretty well rules out long term stages of HIV disease and therefore any worry about oral symptoms.

Hope this helps and take care - Matt
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the HIV Prevention Community

Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544695265
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1595629445
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.