Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.6k Members

HIV-2 positive on ELISA and indeterminate WB

Hi - I am pregnant and had a routine HIV test.  i came back "borderline" positive for HIV-2, at 1.13, and indeterminate on the Western Blot.  I am currently awaiting the retest results, and my husband's have already come back negative.  He is the only man I have ever had a sexual relationship with, I've never had IV drugs or a blood transfusion, or even a tattoo.  I did test positive for rheumatoid arthritis, however.  (and read that this can cause a positive ELISA)  

What could be causing this?  I know I tested negative last summer b/c I applied for and was given life insurance.  Please help me understand, as I'm trying to stay calm for the sake of the baby while I await the PCR results, or hopefully a neg. WB tomorrow.

Thanks - Jenn
40 Responses
What area do you live in?
I agree with chrisneedshelp.  Both rheumatoid arthritis, as well as pregnancy can cause a false reading on an ELISA test.  That is why every ELISA positive test should be retested using a WB.  You don't seem to be a high risk person at all.  I would simply put it behind me until the PCR results come in, which will surely indicate that you do not have the HIV virus.  I wish and your pregnancy nothing but the best.
the dc metro area.  why?
I doubt that you have a concern for HIV2 in the DC metro area. What was your results for your HIV1 test?
neg. HIV1.  it's the indeterminate WB that's freaking me out additionally.  i seriously have ZERO risk, but it's just so crazy and i'm freaking out that i might have gotten it randomly.  
yeah, that's what i know in my head.  but these test results are throwing me, you know?
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.