HIV Prevention Community

HIV Early Symptoms?

Hi, I recently had two encounters with another male - the first time was almost 2 months ago, and it was relatively safe - I got rimmed, received anal sex with a condom (did not cum inside) for less than a minute, and gave head for about 15 minutes (did not cum in mouth). I had no symptoms after this encounter, and about a month later (around mid-December) we had another encounter. This time, I had a cold sore on my lip so I did not perform oral sex, received protected anal sex with a condom for about 2-3 minutes (did not cum inside), and got rimmed. The only problem is, I took a facial with my eyes and mouth closed, but opened my eyes about 7 seconds later and accidentally got some of it in my eyes (it burned bad, lasted about a day). Within 15 hours of the second encounter, I experienced a low-grade fever and upset stomach, and could not hold down food. I had diarrhea after every time I ate, and would immediately be hungry again. This lasted for about a day, and then I seemed to feel fine. About 2 days after that, however, I had a low-grade fever again, this time with my cheeks being warm instead of my forehead (as it was before). This only lasted a few hours, but the next time I looked in the mirror I noticed the beginnings of several tiny sores in my mouth - they looked like tiny white spots, but did not resemble thrush. I forgot about them and felt fine until about 3 days later, when I looked again and noticed they had become bumps, similar to chancre sores but not open. They were not white either, and my mouth was normal color. The next day I had dry mouth really bad, which lasted about 4-5 days. During one of those days I had diarrhea again, with the same hungry feelings afterward, but it went away in about 8 hours. I also noticed several rashes on my legs after taking a shower, but they went away in about 30 minutes...however, they appeared in the exact same spots after several other showers, and after looking closer I noticed they were sort of dry skin with tiny red bumps, like a skin irritation, but extremely hard to notice. They didn't really itch or anything, and they weren't noticeable unless I had just gotten out of the shower. Anyway, my symptoms somewhat died down after a few days and I didn't notice rashes or anything, and the bumps in my mouth have gone way down. Then after taking another hot shower I noticed the rashes again, in the exact same spot, with the exact same behavior (vanished after 30 minutes). I then developed a disturbing symptom which was a strange redness on my penis head, with several small white heads (not open sores). I went to the doctor and was told that I had chancre sores in my mouth, and that the rashes were just from dry skin but did not indicate any sort of STD. As for the penis, I was told it didn't look like an STD but more like a bacterial thing, and that it wasn't a symptom of HIV or anything of the sort. I was told that my dry mouth was likely from not eating right and the cold weather. I have to wait about 3 months for a blood test, but the wait is just killing me. I've been reading a lot on the early symptoms of HIV and I seem to have a lot of them, but I haven't had any night sweats, swollen lymph nodes, or rashes on my hands and feet, and I would think an HIV rash wouldn't appear only during a shower, but I honestly don't know. Also, it seems uncommon for symptoms to appear within a day, usually it seems like it would take at least two weeks, but I've read certain websites stating that symptoms can appear within a few days, so I don't know. Please, if anyone has a comment or anything, please let me know...
You didn't have a risk and had you had a risk symptoms don't come on that quick.
So there's no risk in getting cum in my eyes after a few seconds? I've read that HIV survives up to a few minutes outside the body, and that mucous membranes such as the eyes are a direct transmit point...if what you're saying is true, I will breathe a huge sigh of relief, but it just seems strange to have all those symptoms directly after a risk...
You didn't have a risk.
I don't mean to pester you, but what you're saying directly contradicts what I've read. If HIV-positive semen gets in my eyes a few seconds after it's outside the body, that means the HIV was still present in the semen, and that was absorb into my eyes, which are known to be a transmit point for HIV. How is that not a risk? And as for my symptoms, sores in my mouth and on the genitals, dry mouth, diarrhea, low-grade fever, and an odd rash all fit in with a recent infection, and I honestly have no clue what could cause so many of those symptoms all at once, in direct time correlation to getting semen in my eyes. Again, I don't mean to bother you or be disrespectful, as I can tell that you know your stuff, but I would just like a clearer answer that could put my mind at ease...
Sorry, you were never at risk.
You can't even bother to elaborate a bit? You just ignored everything I said and repeated your original statement. Please...you're the only one responding to me, and I need a clearer answer besides a curt 'there was no risk' when there clearly was. According to what you're saying, HIV positive semen in a mucous membrane has ZERO risk of transmission. Then why do legions of doctors state that it's a risk factor? HIV positive semen in contact with a mucous membrane is known to transmit. Please, help me...just give me a clear answer and I'll leave you alone...I'm freaking out.
What doctor told you it was a risk. If you didn't have damage to your eye you didn't have a risk? HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions, therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.
No specific doctor told me it was a risk, but all the websites that I could find on the subject mentioned that it's been known to survive for no more than a few minutes outside of the body without laboratory conditions. It was in my eye in under 10 seconds though, which is what worries me - that and the fact that my symptoms are bizarre and I couldn't imagine what else could cause sores in my mouth, genitals, fever, nausea, diarrhea, etc. after a sexual encounter unless it's an STD, and HIV is really the only one that seems to match those...again, I don't mean to bother you, but I'm forced to wait for a test and I've just been stretched to my limits worrying about it
End of discussion.
Well I guess that's the final word then, isn't it? Thanks for your time I guess.
Can anyone else help me in any way? Even if it's just a generic supportive comment? I don't want to come away from this forum with a bad taste in my mouth.
Honestly, I'm appalled. I came here in need of support and clear answers, whether they give me relief or more worry. I just wanted answers. I've been crying myself to sleep, convinced I have something...sores in your mouth and on your genitals are NOT NORMAL after a sexual encounter, no matter how low the risk. I just feel totally hopeless and helpless and upset beyond belief that the only person that bothered to respond was short with me and rudely left me hanging without any sort of intelligent response. If HIV doesn't live outside the body, how do people get it by shooting cum into another person? The cum leaves the host's body, but it obviously doesn't die instantly because it infects the other person. I've never read anything that stated that HIV does not exist in semen outside the body, only that it dies after a few minutes. It obviously has to exist in semen because it infects other people. I realize my risk isn't as great as if semen was shot directly into my body, but at 10 seconds I'm still in the window for infection, and I seem to be exhibiting signs of SOMETHING. Anyway, I guess this is hopeless to rant on this forum, because I doubt I'll get any sort of useful response...
and someone wins the lottery too
I'm confused...the link violetbrown posted is irrelevant to my 'cum in eyes' post, and I don't understand the 'someone wins the lottery too' comment...I'm guessing that means I have a higher chance of winning the lottery than getting infected with HIV if HIV positive semen gets in my eye? Anyway, I've been reading some similar posts on the official doctor forums and from what I've read getting cum in your eyes is definitely a risk. I don't have $20 to ask a question right now, but just from reading a similar post (albeit, someone who got cum DIRECTLY in their eyes, not seconds after), the doctor on here said that there's definitely a risk, since it's semen in a mucous membrane. Can anyone elaborate on that or give a second opinion?
What else could cause multiple canker sores in my mouth and sores on my genitals? I've never had either, EVER. They don't look normal and there aren't any other causes that I could think of...some of the canker sores are bleeding now....please help me
please, i don't have a single person i can call and talk to about this...i need someone to talk to, i'm cracking badly