HIV Prevention Community

HIV INFECTION

Dear Doctor
I would like to seek your help, I had a unprotected sex 5 weeks ago with a friend of mine.  Since this time i have experienced very bad muscle pain in arms, under arms and legs - the pain is like a stabbing pain and when i press on the skin next to the joints this is very sore.  i went to the beach the other day and after a shower a rash developed on my trunk (chest and back) this appeared and disappeared within 1hr, i have had some abdominal pain as well but no other symptoms such as fever, sore throat.  I am very scared as I have never felt muscle and joint pain like this. i would be grateful if you could let me know your thoughts.
Test at 3 months post exposure to know your status and use condoms. We don't discuss symptoms because they are general and not specific to HIV.
I am not a doctor, But I can tell you that your symptoms do not sound like HIV symptoms. Also symptoms do not help in finding out your HIV status only a HIV test at 3 months will tell you if you were infected from this exposure.

If it is a "Friend" ask her/him to test that would give you some peace of mind. Also the odds oof getting infected during a single episode is slim around 1 in 1000.