HIV Prevention Community

HIV Infection - Worried & Anxious

Hello, I am a male that had unprotected vaginal sex with a 20 year old caucasian american college woman 40 days ago. I was traveling Europe and in a drunk night stumbled into bed with her. Only time this happened. Condom was out of wrapper, so it must have slipped off. Sad.

Her status to me is "Unknown." I contacted her afterwards, she says she tested negative 2 weeks prior to our encounter and 3 weeks after the encounter through Rapid Tests. Says she's only had unprotected sex with 2 men in the last 6 months. Not sure that I believe that, she seems promiscuous. Making me more dumb. She does say she has never experienced any of the symptoms I have. I've read that not everyone does though.

13 days after the encounter, I went to Planned Parenthood for testing because I had an itch. Doctor said I had a penile fungus infection. She prescribed anti-fungal cream. I tested for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Herpes, Hepatitis, & HIV. All results were negative.

HIV test was "Fourth Generation". Planned Parenthood said that it provides accurate results 10 days after exposure. Information on the internet contradicts that.

I've been dealing with LOTS of Anxiety. Just graduated college and one mistake has me very worried. Could the anxiety and yeast infection be responsible for some of the below symptoms?

I have had weird symptoms since the encounter (40 days ago):

Not sure when they started:
Swollen Lymph Nodes in groin, armpit, and neck.
Headaches.
Body is warm to touch.
Has been difficult to sleep 8 hours straight.
I feel fatigued. I yawn randomly throughout the day.

Day 5 - Runny Nose
Day 6 - Fever
Day 8 - Sore Throat
Day 9 - Chest Pain
Day 13 - Back Pain, Neck Pain
Day 14 - Wake up about 2 times at night (has not stopped)
Day 23 - White Tongue, Upset Stomach
Day 28 - Diarrhea (light symptom), had 4 very small rash like stings after going to the beach.

Up to today, the headaches, swollen lymph nodes, body pains, white tongue, sleeping problem, and diarrhea have stuck around.

I've been pretty healthy in the past. Usually only get the flu in October or random typical allergies.

I've read that chances of average transmission are 1 in 2,000. How does this number change if the woman was recently infected? If I am uncircumcised? The penetration was a few minutes? What is the possibility that I am infected? What should I do?

I may have infected the only person I've been seeing in the States when I had few symptoms, which worries me. She's had a runny nose and sore throat, and minor headaches, neck pain, joint pain and rashes. It could all be coincidence or paranoia on my part.

Thank you very much for your time and help!
This response may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
So the condom came off?
Please or to view.
Well a 3 month test will be conclusive. Symptoms have nothing to do with HIV.
A 4th generation test at 28 days is a very good indication but 3 month antibody test is conclusive.
Okay. I will take the 3 month antibody test then, and maybe a sooner one if I continue to worry a lot.

When you say, "Symptoms have nothing to do with HIV" what do you mean?
Are they not similar to ARS?

I should have thought Stranger Danger!
What I mean is symptoms are never used for a diagnosis or an indication, and symptoms don't come on 1 at this time and then 1 at this time and so on and they come on at a specific time frame and they also point to many other things and not just HIV.

So with all of that being said your symptoms have nothing to do with HIV.
I understand what you've described.

It just feels like they have turned on 1 at a time and stayed in place for a bit. They're slowly going away which leads me to believe ARS descriptions I've read online match my situation.

Of course, I'm hoping for negative results.

Regardless of what happens, I will most likely make STD awareness part of my lifestyle. The awareness courses I took could have provided more specific examples to help maintain a more risk free lifestyle. Its still my fault, I think it would have helped though. Sigh.

Thank you for your time and answers!
If you understood what I described then you would understand that it is not ARS.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
That makes sense.

Okay. Time to relax and hope this is some sort of virus or bacterial infection. Obviously, still get tested at the 90 day mark.
No realistic chance you caught HIV. Expect negatives.
What's the best way to describe ARS?
ARS doesn't mean anything. Not everyone that gets infected has ARS.
nursegirl your response with examples has helped me understand ARS.

Thank you guys for your time and responses!
Five days after the initial post (45 days after "exposure"), I still  have the headaches, swollen lymph nodes, body pains, white tongue, sleeping problem, and morning diarrhea (upset stomach).

Also, fatigued when trying to exercise. Kayaking or running.

Are systemic yeast infections directly related to HIV?
Why dont you test now. It will be a good indicator and if negative you can confirm the result 3 months after the initial exposure.
You can take a duo test now and confirm the result at 3 months after your exposure
I will not be in the same location for more than a few days. So I'd like to wait until I'm settled for at least a week.

What would be the benefit of finding out before the 3 month mark?
Just to keep you calm because a negative duo test will difficult change
a duo test at 45 days is not needed.  all you need is an antibody test, which is a lot cheaper.
Okay. Now, a positive test would just leave me frozen and with few answers.
Just the the test to be aware of your status. If the result is negative you have to confirm it 3 months after the initial exposure. That is crystal clear.
17 days after the initial post (56 days after "exposure"), I still have the headaches, swollen lymph nodes, body pains, white tongue, sleeping troubles, and upset stomach.

I am still waiting for the 3 month mark to get tested.

Just seems weird that I could have these pains for about 6 weeks. Shouldn't a body's immune system fight off the sickness? Whatever it is. If this is not ARS, is there a different medical test I could take to determine what I have?
Try getting off the computer and see your doctor if you are unwell.
You are right. I have an appointment at a walk in clinic tomorrow. I'm constantly moving around and have never really had a doctor.

The appointment is to check out the fungal/yeast infection I initially had that is mildly sticking around (even after applying the recommend creams) and for white tongue.

White tongue and bad taste are horrible. How can they relate to HIV during early infection. Can opportunistic infections attack this early?
NO.
Doctor prescribed Diflucan and Nystatin. Don't think they did much to help alleviate the symptoms I've been having. And if they did the symptoms came back.

3 month test is in the lab. Waiting for the results now.
It will be negative buddy, when you get you result, believe it and move on.  When they say 12 / 13 week test, it's not a switch that happens at 11 wks 6 days / 12 wks 6 days, the reason people discuss 3 months is many people cannot remember when the "encounter" took place, many new tests are way more accurate, I have heard of them picking HIV up at 11 days.  Your test will be negative, no doubt.. When you get it, move on, you will be fine :)
Everyone seems to be right. Test results came back Negative. Doctor said they test blood for everything else since I'm still having unusual symptoms. Thank you for the responses and help!
1