HIV Prevention Community

HIV PCR test

It seems there are several types of PCR tests for HIV...

1) Which of these PCR tests is the best and why?
2) Would it be accurate on the 15th or 16th day after exposure?
3) When is it the best time to do a PCR HIV test, how many days after exposure?

Or should I wait to do an ELISA 3rd generation after 4 weeks? (Which they say is 95% reliable at this time, right?)

This anxiety is killing me and I have symptoms (hopefully caused by stress). I can't cope with this situation anymore.

Please help!!!
COMMUNITY LEADER
PCR tests are not for primary screening of the infection. These tests, in addition to couple of others, are prescribed for monitoring and follow up of the treatment efficacy. These costlier quantitative tests (count of viral load) are primarily for the people living with infection.

For primary screening, 4th generation Duo (Antibody+Antigen) test is the recommended option, which is conclusively accurate after 4 weeks of infection and also not costlier. You can also find the HIV diagnosis flowchart on CDC website.