Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
53.1k Members

HIV PCR test

It seems there are several types of PCR tests for HIV...

1) Which of these PCR tests is the best and why?
2) Would it be accurate on the 15th or 16th day after exposure?
3) When is it the best time to do a PCR HIV test, how many days after exposure?

Or should I wait to do an ELISA 3rd generation after 4 weeks? (Which they say is 95% reliable at this time, right?)

This anxiety is killing me and I have symptoms (hopefully caused by stress). I can't cope with this situation anymore.

Please help!!!
1 Responses
366749 tn?1544698865
COMMUNITY LEADER
PCR tests are not for primary screening of the infection. These tests, in addition to couple of others, are prescribed for monitoring and follow up of the treatment efficacy. These costlier quantitative tests (count of viral load) are primarily for the people living with infection.

For primary screening, 4th generation Duo (Antibody+Antigen) test is the recommended option, which is conclusively accurate after 4 weeks of infection and also not costlier. You can also find the HIV diagnosis flowchart on CDC website.
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.