Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
53.2k Members

HIV SYMPTOMS

Help, I am scared! I am 29 and stupidly had a 2 minute unprotected sex with a girl I don't even know her HIV status for some 3 months now. Though I do not have diarrheoa, cough, sore throat, thrush or lumps on my neck and armpits I am even more terrified now.  Reason being that about 3 weeks ago, I noticed sudden mild but itchy rash particularly on the sides of my ribs, upper buttocks, arms and thighs (none on the face or neck). It quickly subsided about a few days after without medication. Following that, I noticed a painful swelling on both sides of my groin, the next morning at about 10am I had a bout of fever which went away that night. It was the sequence of which these symptoms manifested and speed with which the fever went away that first drew my attention to the suspicion that it could be HIV. It's been 3 days now since the onset of the swelling and I can still feel them although slightly only if I massage the spots. Is there another sequence the symptoms can appear? Which of them is the most definitive of HIV? Until I have been able to do a home test, I do not have the confidence to see my GP. I am simply devastated and only hope and pray this is anxiety.
2 Responses
188761 tn?1584567620
COMMUNITY LEADER
1.Unprotected sex would warrant testing

2. The symptoms that you describe is too unspecific when it comes to HIV. HIV ARS rash is not itchy and most of the time it appears on the trunk of the body, swelling of nodes associated with HIV is not painful, fever associated with the virus is very high and doesn't subside within matter of few hours. Also, ARS symptoms show up together and subsides all at once.

3. There is no symptom which is definitive of HIV cuz HIV can't be guessed, to know your status you must test.

4. I see no reason for you too freak so much about the incidence, your risk is low and you should be fine.

5. Test at the 6th week and back up the negative with a final one at the 12th week

Best of luck

Mike
Do you mean the symptoms come all together not one after another and that the swelling is not painful? That will be a huge relief but please I need more incisive opinions so I regain some confidence. I'll be ordering a home test kit and if I'm lucky enough that I'm shutting my doors to SEX unless I'm absolutely sure. This must be a turning point for me.
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544695265
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428176748
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.