Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.8k Members

HIV Scare?

(I first posted this in the STD forum, but they asked that I post here instead.  Repose below.  Thanks!)

Hello, all -

I'm a 33 year old, recently out of the closet gay man.  I totally crushed on the first man I dated (I guess that's not unusual).  After several weeks of dating, we had anal sex (he received).  As I was inserting, the condom broke.  I immediately withdrew and put on another, which seemed to do the rest of the job just fine :).

Just a few weeks later, the relationship ended.  We never discussed his HIV status, but, in hindsight, there are many things that make me suspicious.

While I realize that HIV can't be diagnosed by symptoms, I've still had suspicious things happening: a few nights of unexplained fever are the most obvious.  

The condom incident was 10 weeks ago.  I went in about 3 weeks ago to get tested, and the clinic worker fairly adamantly refused the test, because it hadn't yet been 3 months since my exposure.

The anxiety of the wait on the window period is killing me.  Concentrating at work is virtually impossible.  Having fun with friends is even difficult.

So, my questions:

1.  Suppose that the other man was HIV positive.  What are the chances that I am now also infected, given the extremely brief exposure so early in intercourse?

2.  Is it worth going to another clinic now (at 10 weeks) and getting a test?  Would the results of that slightly-early screening mean anything at all?  Obviously, if I test negative, I would probably need to do it again after 13 weeks, but I'm dieing for even a little peace of mind here.

3.  Am I completely insane for freaking out about it this much?  Do sexually active gay men just get used to living in this kind of uncertainty without letting the anxiety rule them?

Thanks in advance for your responses!
3 Responses
go now and it wont change at 13 weeks the result most people get hiv at 6 or 8 weeks so go now if u have alot of anxciety
if u want more a piece of mind ask him to go with u for a test
yes find another place to go for now but ur 10 week test will not change at 13 so what i do is find another place then go back at 13 but the results will be the same as 10 thanks and good luck
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.