HIV Prevention Community

HIV Symptoms / Rash

Hello. I'm new to the site and I thank you for taking the time to answer my question.  I was in a relationship with a partner who I have strong reason to believe is HIV Positive. Not the imagination going crazy, I would be rather surprised if I learned that she was not hiv positive, I am that confident that she is. Moving forward, I was last intimate with her about a month ago and never again since then. Over the past couple of weeks, I have been getting a crazy red rash on my face on the lower inside area of my cheeks, kind of where a mustache would end on each side if I had one. There is a bump on the left side and every thing else is more just red blotches, each resembling the size of a pimple, however, the redness is under the skin without the skin being raised. I have also had a horrible cough for about a week and I just spent the weekend in bed with the flu. Now for the positive part, in that area of my face, my skin has been known to typically dry out a little more, this has been for several years (prior to the liklihood of hiv exposure). If I don't put cream, it would often flake and / or just get dry there. I haven't shaved for a few days and it was still red this morning. After I shave, it got worse.  No other symptoms, just the red spots / blotches under the skin, a bump on one of them and flu-like symptoms that are starting to clear up. The acts that I felt would have put me at risk (assuming she is in fact hiv positive) was that I performed oral sex on her on numerous occasions and I don't have the best of gums, they do bleed quite often. We also had unprotected vaginal sex on several occasions, no anal sex at all. I do not use IV drugs, or any drugs for that matter. So that's my story. Is the rash that commonly comes common to only have it on the face. I've never in my life seen my skin get red spots like that under the surface. Again, it is usually evident after I shave, not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. I looked over the rest of my body, no abnormal spots or rash that I can see anywhere. Some sites claim the rash is usually on the face and others suggest that is less common and rather on the trunk more commonly. I'd really appreciate your input. I am rather afraid because I believe I have exposed myself to the virus for one, secondly I've never experienced a rash like this where it appears to be red spots under the skin on my face. Again, it's only in the area of my face that I described and one one side it does extend lower but this is most evident after shaving. It always seems to get more red after shaving. I would truly love to hear the opinion of an expert, thank you sincerely for your time and knowledge.

Alan
Hello Alan,

This is a community forum, not an expert one. For the latter you have to pay in advance but this one is free but is based largely on the advices from the latter forum.

Your unprotected vaginal sex might put you at risk, so you'll need to get tested at 3 months since your last unprotected vaginal sex. Meanwhile, wear condom and if it breaks during unprotected vaginal/anal sex, then you'll need to get tested at 3 months from then to get a conclusive negative result. Symptoms can be misleading.

In regard to HIV status, your partner is positive only when her initial test result and the confirmative test that followed say so. But always wear condom when it comes to a non-fixed partner or somebody whose HIV/STD status is unknown.