A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.6k Members

HIV Test Inconclusive?

- What does that mean?

15 Responses
480448 tn?1426952138
That means it was neither positive nor negative.  Usually, you would be advised to retest.  What was your risk, and what kind of test did you take?
Hi,
My risk is pretty low, other than a tattoo recently. This kind of threw me for a loop I am pregnant and did not see this happenning. Does an inconclusive mean that they saw a number raised or that the test itself was messed up?

Thanks very much.
480448 tn?1426952138
This is a common occurence during pregnancy.  If you did not have a risk (unprotected vaginal or anal sex, or sharing IV drug works)...then you have nothing to worry about.

Getting a tattoo is not a risk for HIV.
Why is this a Common occurence during Pregnancy? Do they use a less accurate test? My Doctor said it could have been from the tattoo if I am positive...
480448 tn?1426952138
During pregnancy, it is common to have false positive results, or inconclusive results.

Pregnant women produce antibodies that can sometimes be detected on an HIV test, causing the results to be + or inconclusive.

Like I said before...tattoos are NOT a risk for HIV.  NO ONE has ever gotten HIV from getting a tattoo.

If you didn't engage in any of the things I listed as risks, you have nothing to worry about,.
Ok thanks, One more question. How long can someone have HIV with no symptoms? Or passing it onto your partener? We have been together for 10 years and we both trust each other. But what if my partener had had it this whole time?

Sorry for all the anxiety riddled questions.

Thanks
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.