HIV Prevention Community

HIV Test

I have sexual relationship with a woman of unknown HIV status. Four weeks after this sexual ecounter I went for a general Dorctors health check and as part of the health check they ran an HIV test. A week after they called me to tell me the HIV test came back positive. At the 5th Week I went and did an ECLIA test whcih came back negative, with the same blood sample, they ran another test the next day and also came back negative. At 14 weeks I went and did a HIV 1/O/2-Abs-ICMA and came back negative. Is this last negative conclusive? Please help. Thanks.
Hi there.

It does sound like you are one of the few who had a false positive result.

What has your Dr said about this to date?  Have you had a viral load check?
I have not talk to this doctor again since July. This last test was done last week trough a different doctor which was at the 14 week mark on Antibody test. No, I have not done mopre tests since then.
Any feedback?
I would 'suggest' that it was a false positive, these happen from time to time.

I would suggest that you do see a sexual health professional for confirmation but I would certainly expect your status to not change from negative.

These kind of questions are always hard for us to answer as we don't have all the facts, a 14 week test following a positive at 5 weeks is vey very reassuring, there are potentially a couple of confirmation tests that can be done to co lately confirm your status.

I hope this helps.

Best Wiehs

James
'Completely confirm' that should read...
The first test at 4th week was positive, then the second test ECLIA was negative at 5th Week, then the last test HIV 1/O/2-Abs-ICMA was negative at 14 weeks. Sorry I didnt explained properly. Thanks
Hello Rocket, I have add more information. Could review and provide feedback? Thanks
You are negative, you had a false positive
Thanks. My mind is driving me crazy. I was feeling pain under my chin and neck which went away, but also a few days ago I have being waking up a few hours after going to bed feeling warm/hot (without sweating). No sick at all but really nervous and worry and taking XANAX. Thanks to my Lord Jesus everything is alright. Should I test again at 6 months?
No
Why this symptoms?
Vance are you still there? Thanks.
excuse me A1920 , but was your first false positive test a DUO/combo test ?
I have sexual relationship with a woman of unknown HIV status. Four weeks after this sexual ecounter I went for a general Dorctors health check and as part of the health check they ran an HIV test. A week after they called me to tell me the HIV test came back positive. At the 5th Week I went and did an ECLIA test (4th Gen) whcih came back negative, with the same blood sample, they ran another test the next day and also came back negative. At 14 weeks I went and did a HIV 1/O/2-Abs-ICMA and came back negative. Is this last negative conclusive? Please help. Thanks.
i just want to follow up, I know it has being months since my last post. i did a pcr-/rna <20 copies at month 5 (2 months after my last ICMA negative test), the doctor said it was negative (the results papers doesnt say negative anywhere it just says like this;)

Results HIV-1 RNA, Real Time PCR (non-graph)

Value            Range/Units             Status
<20            1.56: even do, they reflex to an HIV 1 and 2 Differentiation Test for confirmation (Results were HIV 1 non reactive and HIV 2 non reactive). Still feeling a little bit anxious.

open to any comments. thanks.
non reactive=negative
i see that the messege got all mixed the way i originally intendet to read. i was talking about the rna test. here it goes again. is this result means negative? because the paper doesnt say negative anywere.

<20             <20 copies/ml            Final
Yes
ok. i appreciated. thanks. should I test again now that it has being 9 months since the first test / false pos?
do you think i need one more, last test ?
Your test is completely conclusive and you are negative.
Yes, you had a nasty shock with your first negative but you retested and found out it was a false negative.
If your last test was not negative, the clinic would have asked you to come.
They have a duty of care and there is no way, they would have left you confused and alone.
One last thing; I noticed that Rocket27Rocket (aka James) answered your first post.
James was a brilliant writer and helped put a lot of people at ease.
I was hoping he stay on this forum, but has seemed to disappear.
He is missed.
Sorry, I meant; you found out it was a false positive.

Best regards.
thanks Sharkboy.

my concern with the first test was that the 3rd generation test ICMA (repedetely reactive 1.56) tests for both IgM and IgG and the confirmation Multispot only test for IgG (HIV1 non reactive and HIV2 non reactive). But I guess the other negative tests and this last pcr-rna at 5 months <20 copies closed the deal. do you think i need more tests?  
No I don't and I bet if called your clinic, they would say the same thing.

Today's test's are so sensitive that unfortunately they do sometimes throw up a false positive.

If this happens before, say 4 weeks, the greater the chance it is wrong.

I am a bit surprised your clinic has not talked to you about this and put your mind at ease.

But in my opinion, your test's prove you are negative.

Take care.