HIV Prevention Community

HIV Testing Methods in South Korea

To any HIV expert out there,

Dear Sir or Madam, I am a 34 year old Caucasian male U.S. citizen who is currently working abroad. Last Spring, I applied for a teaching job in South Korea, and got the position. Right before leaving, however, on October 6, 2010,  I did something impulsive... and probably somewhat stupid. I had sex with a call girl. This was in Quebec City, and done through a government monitored agency that made sure that all the working women there were tested for STDs every three months. In that context, we obviously had protected sex and there was no anal penetration. The call girl did however give me a blow job between condoms, and I performed oral sex on her as well.

Although it was an amazing time for me (and dare I say for her as well), I began worrying about STDs soon after. I was especially worried about HIV and this lead me to get tested 10 weeks after having sex with the call girl. This was done in a large town hospital, just south of Daegu, in the south central Central South Korea. The results of my test came back negative and I was okay for a while. But then, one month later, I decided to check to see what "my" call girl was up to, just for the fun of it on her agency's website, but found out she was no longer there. This was in January 2011, three months after our encounter. I immediately panicked! Maybe she was already infected with HIV when we met in October, transmitted it to me somehow and only tested positive three months later! I called the agency and asked about it, but they told me that she had simply resigned.

At any rate, I would like to know what kinds of HIV tests they use here in Korea. I'd ask the doctors myself, but some things get lost in translation. Also, given the details I provided, how great is my risk for contracting HIV? It's been almost five months now since my initial encounter with the call girl. Do I need to get tested again?  And if so, would I need to specify which HIV test I would like to receive? Whatever the case, any information you can provide would help.

Thanks immensely for your time and sorry about the length of this email.

Sincerely,

Chocabo

PS I'm really impressed with the work you do on this website and the help that you provide to hundereds if not thousands of people. Is there any way I can donate?
You had protected sex and didn't have a risk.
"we obviously had protected sex and there was no anal penetration"
protected sex mean NO RISK
Thanks for the answer..but the oral sex part from her to me and me to her was without protection. Any risk with that?
ORAL SEX = NO HIV RISK

You do not have HIV from anything you describe.

Hope this helps