Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.8k Members

HIV and Saliva

On the 02/05/15 i engaged in a casual meet up with another guy. Prior to meeting this guy i had shaved my face with a razor. I realized i had a small cut on my chin which stopped bleeding after 2-3 hours. When i met this guy there was no bleeding. There was only kissing, insertive oral sex and I also received anilingus. Since, then i have been awfully worried about HIV transmission. I had a HIV/STI assessment on the 09/06/15 this was exactly the 6 week window period. Only a few days short. Fortunately the results have come negative. However, for the past week i have been experiencing flu like symptoms. I have a sore throat, chesty cough, nasal congestion, headache that was exacerbated by coughing, and fever. The fever started in the afternoon (6 pm) and my body temperature reached 38.3C only lasted 1 day, although the very same i had night sweats. I have started antibiotics and the relieve my sore throat im taking a throat lozenge. Today, i have noticed diarrhea and abdominal discomfort. I no longer have a headache.

1) Are my symptoms seroconversion symptoms?
2) Is there any risk with kissing and a small cut on the chin that was no bleeding?
3) I have looked at various sources all stipulating that 95% of people develop antibodies by 4 to 6 weeks. Although, for a conclusive result 3 months need to be waited for a conclusive result relating to HIV transmission? How reassuring is the test i conducted? The nurse said a 6 week test was highly reliable, although 12 weeks would be best.

NB: I would like a response from a physician who specializes in HIV    
1 Responses
366749 tn?1544698865
COMMUNITY LEADER
You were never exposed to HIV risk and this has also been reflected in your test reports.

1.No.
2.No
3.3 months window period is for the HIV Ab tests of previous generation. Now the Duo (Ab+Ag) test is conclusive after 4 weeks. Even if it was a third generation test, it is extremely unlikely to turn otherwise in the weeks to come. In your case, it is conclusively negative, because your risk never existed

There is no physician available on this forum, this is a community forum
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.