HIV Prevention Community

HIV and oral sex

I had unprotected oral sex with a csw ( I was receiving)on dec 14 and on dec 25 I had a fever that lasted 1 day, on march 25 I had another fever and swallan glands in my neck with sore throat and sinus head each that lasted a week I alSo lost 16 pounds was 190 which I have not been able put back on. I went to the doctors and he put me on atibioctic which cleared it up. At the end of all this I got Agular cheilitis. It sounds like I have a lot of symptoms tht could lead to HIV as the only answer. I'm in Toronto and she was Asian , please help as I'm very scared
You never had an exposure from oral sex.
I agree it maybe rare but not impossible to get it based on other official std websites and some doctor comments saying oral is a risk, the thing I forgot to mention is that I noticed chaffing on my foreskin after my exposer and I also had sex with my wife about 4 weeks later an then she also had a fever sore throat about 2 weeks after wich added to my fear. I'm sorry for asking it again just need to clear it up as there is a lot stuff on the net which is freaking me out. And the weight loss and cheilitis is hard to Ignore as most places list it as stage 2 HIV symptoms. Also is it possible to loose that much weight 3 months after exposer?? Just asking even if mine was no risk
No incident HIV infections among MSM who practice exclusively oral sex.
Int Conf AIDS 2004 Jul 11-16; 15:(abstract no. WePpC2072)??Balls JE, Evans JL, Dilley J, Osmond D, Shiboski S, Shiboski C, Klausner J, McFarland W, Greenspan D, Page-Shafer K?University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, United States

Oral transmission of HIV, reality or fiction? An update
J Campo1, MA Perea1, J del Romero2, J Cano1, V Hernando2, A Bascones1
Oral Diseases (2006) 12, 219–228

AIDS: Volume 16(17) 22 November 2002 pp 2350-2352
Risk of HIV infection attributable to oral sex among men who have sex with men and in the population of men who have sex with men

Page-Shafer, Kimberlya,b; Shiboski, Caroline Hb; Osmond, Dennis Hc; Dilley, Jamesd; McFarland, Willie; Shiboski, Steve Cc; Klausner, Jeffrey De; Balls, Joycea; Greenspan, Deborahb; Greenspan
Page-Shafer K, Veugelers PJ, Moss AR, Strathdee S, Kaldor JM, van Griensven GJ. Sexual risk behavior and risk factors for HIV-1 seroconversion in homosexual men participating in the Tricontinental Seroconverter Study, 1982-1994 [published erratum appears in Am J Epidemiol 1997 15 Dec; 146(12):1076]. Am J Epidemiol 1997, 146:531-542.

Studies which show the fallacy of relying on anecdotal evidence as opposed to carefully controlled study insofar as HIV transmission risk is concerned:

Jenicek M. "Clinical Case Reporting" in Evidence-Based Medicine. Oxford: Butterworth–Heinemann; 1999:117
Saltzman SP, Stoddard AM, McCusker J, Moon MW, Mayer KH. Reliability of self-reported sexual behavior risk factors for HIV infection in homosexual men. Public Health Rep. 1987 102(6):692–697.Nov–Dec;

Catania JA, Gibson DR, Chitwood DD, Coates TJ. Methodological problems in AIDS behavioral research: influences on measurement error and participation bias in studies of sexual behavior. Psychol Bull. 1990 Nov;108(3):339–362.

There is no debate (among experts) about the HIV risks associated with oral sex. The risk is so low that almost nobody who cares for HIV infected patients has ever had a patient believed to have been infected that way. Among experts, it's a semantic issue about using terms like "no risk" and "very low risk". There is no difference between my or Dr. Hook's use of "low risk" and other experts' "no risk".
DR. HANSFIELD

"And oral sex is basically safe sex -- completely safe with respect to HIV and although not zero risk for other STDs, the chance of infection is far lower than for unprotected vaginal or anal sex. Please educate yourself about the real risks. If you stick with oral sex and condom-protected vaginal or anal sex, you have no HIV worries and very little worry about other STDs. " DR HANSFIELD

"I am sure you can find lots of people who believe that HIV is transmitted by oral sex, but you will not find scientific data to support this unrealistic concern..." DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread by touching, masturbation, oral sex or condom protected sex."- DR. HOOK

in the public HIV Prevention forum of MedHelp, TEAK and the other moderators maintain that oral sex in all forms is a zero risk activity. Would you agree with this assessment?
I TOTALLY AGREE / DR GARCIA
"HIV is not spread by masturbation, through oral sex, through kissing or other casual contact." Dr. Hook
"The observation on thousands and thousands of observations is that HIV is not spread by oral sex (of any sort)." DR HOOK
"I would not say your risk ,if he had HIV is "slim to none"- that's too high.  I would say they are effectively zero.  How much of his ejaculate or other genital  secretions you may have swallowed makes no difference.  EWH "
"As far as HIV is concerned, there is no known risk of getting HIV from performing oral sex on an infected partner, even if that person's genital secretions get into your eyes or if you swallow." Dr.Hook
HIV is not spread by oral sex, giving or receiving, even if sores, gum disease or blood is present
DR HOOK
The fact is that there are no cases in which HIV has been proven to be transmitted by oral sex, including fellatio..  EWH
I'm going to get tested I really hope you are right, it just weird all this happens after I received oral from her, maybe it's just anxiety I will let you know the results, thanks
You don't need to update us we know what the results are.
oh please update us =D thanks =D
Move on.
Those doctors are wrong and there are no rare cases--There are no cases.You're wasting your time if you test.
Dr hook and dr handsfield state in many post that the risk of contracting HIV I 1 in 20000 exposer but than they say there is no risk. Even though small it still sounds like a risk . Also the CDC also states there has been documented cases of transmission through oral. That's what make it confusing.  Thanks
I think that the general consensus is zero risk amongst HIV specialists.We would be seeing so many more infections if it was a real risk just like we would environment exposures and we just haven't seen any.
Could some one please respond to this? it will be my last time bugging you.
What do you want us to respond to? We gave you quotes from Dr.HHH and Dr.Hook, they both agree that in reality it is zero risk.

Documentated cases are junk because they are from after interviews, studies show different.
I guess what I would like to know reguardless of my risk. Would I  have weight loss 10 to 15 pounds and cheilitis 3 to 4 months after contracting HIV also have redness in my mustach area which flakes when I itch it and spots poop up that looks like bug bite and ho away after a day or does that take years to start?? Also is the weight loss gradual or sudden??
We are not going to address something that has nothing to do with you.
This is everything I'm experiencing and dr handsfield said on a recent post "that the only way to contract HIV is by inserting your bare penis in a vagina anus or mouth (rare)" that is in this forum medhelp. Just want to know about my symptoms
Also I have bad a sore neck for the last month
Nothing more we can tell you. Your choice to test if you don't believe us.
Could this all actually be anxiety??  I have heard that there would have to be visible blood on my penis too put my at any risk For infection , thanks for being so patient with me, I worry about every little thing and this was a stupid mistake wich I don't want to hurt my family or put them in any risk
You never had an exposure and you can't put anyone at risk.
yes, what you feel & what your ill is anxienty
anxienty can make weight loss too
listen what an expert said...
A vagina or anus is not a mouth and contains no saliva which has powerful protiens and enzymes that render the HIV virus damaged and totally inactive.Please accept the facts and don't read from bogus websites like the body.com.If they had any substance in the information they provide then they wouldn't be telling posters to test out to 6 months instead of 3.Medhelp and Aids meds will always provide you with facts.
Thanks a lot for your guys advise, I will move on with my life. Hopefully nothing pops up on my body to freak me out again, Ive had enough of the Internet to last me awhile. Thanks again and keep up the good work.
Try to calm down, and follow these guys\' or the doctor\'s advice. Don\'t kill yourself with anxiety over a no risk exposure.
I know, the only thing killing me is the angular cheilitis that has not gone away and a lot of places say it a early sign of HIV.