HIV Prevention Community

HIV concern

Last weeked of Oct 2012 while traveling to Europe got drunk with friends and visited strip/prostitute bar. Unfortuantely I was so drunk that i dot have a very good rcollection of what happen. The only thing I remember was taling to a woman who took me to a private room. Thus, I have to assume that some unprotected sex occurred. I just remember getting into my hotel room the next morning. Upon my return to the States with the help of a friend I treated my self empirically for GC and Chlamidya. Had RPR, GC/DNA Chlamidya testing all negatie. Also tested for Hep B and C and negative as well. Two weeks after the encounter I repeated labs- all negative and included a HIV 1&2 ELISA that also came back negative. I repeated the HIV ELISA on the 26th- 4 weeks from the encounter- also negative. Had a minor soar throat during the past few weeks, NO lymph nodes and NO skin rash- I did develop a burning sensation in my skin in neck/chest and arms but no evidence of the maculopapular rash people often describe. My skin continues feeling tingly and have the sensation as if I had an iron on my skin- Have had these symptoms before during stress times. Now obvioulsy I am quite worry about my risk for HIV. The worse is that I had sex with my female partner for almost 18 years (monogamous relationship) she now developed a nasty rash in her legs- almost 2 weeks from the time we had sex. I am super stressed out about this -she also experienced some cough and soar thought  (all our family was sick with flu-like sympoms for the past 2 weeks). Her rash is quite concerning for HIV expecially with my exposure.

Is there any possibility that her rash could be something else different than HIV (i.e. EBV or CMV like) that I might have contracted during that high-risk encounter- again I have to assume I did have unprotected sex.

Any help or thought would be greatly appreciated

Try to think back. Did u actually have unprotected sex? Was it unprotected oral sex? Masturbation? If all u had was unprotected oral or masturbation you can pretty much eliminate HIV and no testing is needed. If you think you had unprotected vaginal sex then get tested at 3 months. Since you don't want to wait because of your partner get a rapid test, follow it up with an Elisa at 3 months. Avoid having sex with your partner until then. A remainde, your symptoms could very well be caused by stress. I ve had them too. Skin burning, back of neck and slight sore throat. My only exposure was an unprotected handjob at a massage parlor which everyone tells me it's no risk. I've been stressed also. Very. Stress can cause these symptoms. Don't loose hope. HIV is not easy to get. Ok?
Thank you for the message Joe 147- My main issue now is that I can not explain my partners new leg rash....I have seen pictures and it does resemble HIV rash. Again I had an ELISA at 4 weeks when I had all those symptoms myself- continue with some muscle fatigue. Although it might be stress induced- my partner and family has become my main concern now. Not sure if there are other possibilities that can explain the rash of my partner two weeks after having sex (which was 2 weeks after I had the high-risk encounter)

Thx
That advise was totally incorrect. Rapid tests are not reliable or acurate until 3 months post exposure.
Thanks for the correction teak
Don't think like that.
Check this site on stress

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/stress_signs.htm
You'll find many of your symptoms if not all there . Your symptoms don't mean anything. Hang in there. I know it's hard.
Stress can affect all aspects of your life, including your emotions, behaviors, thinking ability, and physical health. No part of the body is immune. But, because people handle stress differently, symptoms of stress can vary. Symptoms can be vague and may be the same as those caused by medical conditions. So it is important to discuss them with your doctor. You may experience any of the following symptoms of stress.

Emotional symptoms of stress include:

Becoming easily agitated, frustrated, and moody
Feeling overwhelmed, like you are losing control or need to take control
Having difficulty relaxing and quieting your mind
Feeling bad about yourself (low self-esteem), lonely, worthless, and depressed
Avoiding others
Physical symptoms of stress include:

Low energy
Headaches
Upset stomach, including diarrhea, constipation, and nausea
Aches, pains, and tense muscles
Chest pain and rapid heartbeat
Insomnia
Frequent colds and infections
Loss of sexual desire and/or ability
Nervousness and shaking, ringing in the ear, cold or sweaty hands and feet
Dry mouth and difficulty swallowing
Clenched jaw and grinding teeth
Cognitive symptoms of stress include:

Constant worrying
Racing thoughts
Forgetfulness and disorganization
Inability to focus
Poor judgment
Being pessimistic or seeing only the negative side
Behavioral symptoms of stress include:

Changes in appetite -- either not eating or eating too much
Procrastinating and avoiding responsibilities
Increased use of alcohol, drugs, or cigarettes
Exhibiting more nervous behaviors, such as nail biting, fidgeting, and pacing

Remember, get tested. It's the only way to be sure.
Wonder if I canhave your input on the above situation. As stated, my main concern now is the fact that my spouse developed a typical HIV rash in her legs 2-3 weeks after we have unprotected sex. I can not explain her rash.. The rash has improved but has been extremely itchy since it appeared 5 days ago. Can this be another type of rash- EBV? she did not have any typical symptoms for mono- same for me. My blood work (blood counts and chemistries including liver test all look good) I am sure you can imagine how stressed I am. I dont want to ruin her life and that of my family.
since you can't remember if you were protected or not the only sensible thing to do is getting tested. You can't guess by symptoms. Take a test 3 months post exposure for a conclusive result.
Re-tested again with HIV ELISA yesterday-38 days (almost 6 weeks) after incident. I know that one might not make antibodies this early, however if one has acute HIV symptoms in the first few weeks would not this test be positive?
I am also waiting for a viral load RNA- should comeback by the end of the week. Although the most recent ELISA results gives me some hope, my main concern remains- my partner's rash is classical for HIV- macular/papular red, quite itchy in both legs with bumps

Any thoughts anybody?

Many thx