A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.7k Members

HIV in saliva

HI,

First off, thank you for taking the time to answer my question. My question is as follows:

A few nights ago I was walking down a street at night and I heard someone make a "spit" or "sneeze" sound and it may have come into contact with my face as I felt something wet on my nose. Now I am aware that HIV cannot be transmitted through saliva and that it is contracted through sex, needle sharing, and mother to child. However, I would like to ask if there was any risk here if the saliva did contain blood and that blood hit my lips or eye. Do I need testing? Thanks again for a reply!
:
4 Responses
No risk and no need to test.
Hi Teak,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I know this site is not designed as an HIV information site, rather a risk assessment site, but out of curiosity can HIV be transmitted through saliva if therevis blood present? Thanks
1522432 tn?1397126426
If you really are intrested in medicin and transmission then yes, HIV is found in saliva even if youre not bleeding, altough in an inactive and unpacked form so its not contaigous and there is no risk for infection. Theorethically viruses can infect through eyes, since it is an immunoprivileged site, or through open wounds (blood-blood) for that matter. You however had NO RISK. Listen to teak.
Hi JaBerz,

Thanks for taking the time to reply! I'm really not anxious or concerned over this anymore. I'm just trying to become more educated, as I have never studied medicine.
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.