HIV Prevention Community

HIV risk with wart

Hi there,
I had sex with two female sex workers in Bangkok over the past couple of days, and today I discovered a dark bump on the base of my penis which may be a wart. I know that the incubation period means that I didn't catch the wart from either of them. I am going to get it checked out soon to see if it is a wart or something else. It appears to be at/near a hair follicle. I wore a condom on both occasions and it did not fail, but the condom does not usually cover the base of the penis, and also when removing it I fear some vaginal fluid may have gotten onto the shaft. So I am worried that if it turns out that I do have a wart, and if some vaginal fluid got on the wart, that this may pose an increased risk of HIV. I did notice some vaginal fluid on my pubic hair area.

I have read reports on the net that warts increase the risk of HIV, so that has me greatly worried.
Thanks in advance for all your help.
Before you get even more freaked out, see a doctor and have this mystery lump professionally diagnosed. It could just be an ingrown pubic hair.
Any vaginal fluids that may or may not have come in contact with this "growth" would NOT be a risk for HIV just as vaginal fluids on your shaft or in your pubic hair would not be a risk.

The presence of genital warts does not increase your risk of acquiring HIV.
Thanks Ruby!
I appreciate your kindness in answering my question, and now I feel less anxious. I will certainly go and get that thing looked at by a doctor.

The reason I asked in the first place is that there are various articles on the net suggesting that warts increase the risk of HIV transmission, e.g.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-genital-wart-idUSTRE6494R720100510

or this one which refers to heterosexual men:
http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/other-health-news/other-health-news-topics/hpv/3730-aids-2012-hpv-doubles-risk-of-hiv-infection

I suppose they may not be definitive, but they certainly got me worried.

Do you still think that warts are not a risk (at least in my situation, which I've described above)?
This is one of the most discouraging aspects of the plethora of symptom sites on the net. You can always find one that will support your fears, and another one that does not.....so who do you believe?
In the 10 years I've been associated with this site, I have taken a very large portion of my knowledge from the doctors who used to contribute here. They were HIV/AIDS specialists. You can find their opinions by going to the right hand side of this screen under "RELATED Forums," clicking on the tab that says "EXPERTS" and typing in your subject.

I have included here one of their many posts regarding HPV. You will note the only mention of HPV and HIV is that people who ARE HIV+ ARE MORE AT RISK FOR ACQUIRING HPV.......NOT the other way around.
I hope this information will ease your mind.
___________________________________________________________
Human Papillomavirus (HPV) is the name of a large group of viruses. Certain types of HPV cause warts on the hands or feet. About 30-40 types can cause infections in the genital area (the vulva, vagina, penis, buttocks, scrotum, and anus).

Genital HPV types are often referred to as "low risk" and "high risk." Low-risk types can cause genital warts. High-risk types can cause cervical cancer or cancer of the vulva, vagina, anus, and penis.

The types of HPV that can cause genital warts are not the same as the types that cause cancer. However, if you have warts, you may have also been exposed to the types of HPV that could cause cancer.

Genital HPV is spread easily through skin-to-skin contact during vaginal or anal sex with someone who has the infection. Condoms do not totally prevent transmission. Even though many people who have HPV don't know it, they can still pass it on to someone else.

Genital HPV is the most common sexually transmitted disease (STD) in the US. Over 50 percent of all sexually-active men and women become infected with HPV at some time in their lives.

Most people with HPV do not know they have it because they do not develop symptoms. In 90 percent of cases, the body's immune system clears HPV infection naturally (without treatment) within two years.

People living with HIV (HIV+ people) are more likely to be infected with HPV than HIV-negative people. HIV+ people with HPV are also more likely to develop genital warts, as well as cervical or anal cancer.

If you have sex, it is important to be checked for signs of HPV such as genital warts or cervical and anal cancer. This is because the body does not always clear HPV on its own and you may need treatment to prevent health problems.
  .
Thanks Ruby. That's definitely clear enough now. I really appreciate your help in clarifying this issue.