HIV Prevention Community

HIV symptoms.

How many days after unprotected sex,a person can get early symptoms of acute HIV infection? What are all the symtoms a person could have?
I heard that most of the Hiv infected persons will get some symptoms like fever,cold,lymph swelling diahrea etc. with in 1 -3 weeks of infection for sure . and few people wont get any of these symptoms at all..

May i know approximately what percentage of people will get some symptoms for sure in first 2-3 weeks after unprotected sex and what percentage of people will not get any symptoms at all...

If a person is not getting any symptoms at all for first 2-3 weeks after unprotected sex,does that means 70-80% he is safe?

What are all the STDs other than HIV that cannot be cured?
1) May I know at what time frame the initial symptoms(high fever,sore throat,Rash) usually appears?

--> 2-4 weeks post-exposure; the earliest is 10 days. They will last for 1-2 weeks (or even longer in some cases), and will disappear afterward.

2) Does all these 3 symptoms appears together for all of 70-80% of infected people (who get symptoms) or they may get any of these 3?

--> Dr. Sean Cummings, after observing HIV patients in his years of practice, said that these 3 symptoms are most likely to appear altogether. There may be some other symptoms, such as swollen glands, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, but the 3 symptoms are the most common ones, with at least high fever definitely being present.

3) What about HIV rash??
I need more info on HIV rash.I did not get what is a rash? how it looks like? which color? big or small? bulgy? How does it feel? itchy? burning? painful?  how the HIV rash could be differentiated from normal rashes?

--> Rash is a change of the skin color. Its color is different from one person to another, depending on the color of your skin. HIV-associated rashes are painless and not itchy. You wouldn't even feel them. The rashes are extensive; they may spread all over the body or only on certain parts of the body, but look extensive and abundant. So if you find one or two red dots on your body, they don't count as HIV-associated rashes.

4)  At what time frame does the rash appears?
--> See no. 1.

5) I had an encounter 9 days back.It was a condom slip? I am not sure whether i reinserted my penis after the slip.... Anyway i will undergo an antibody test after 3 months....

--> Yes, you need to test after 3 months.

6) Yesterday i felt some itchy feelings near my chest,penis,buttocks,thighs and i noticed some sort of small black/brown colored pimple like things there.just one or two not much...
I am not sure if that is because of  my HIV fear....Could this stuffs be a HIV rash? Does HIV rash appears within 9 days of encounter?? What could be  the time frame?

--> Symptoms are NEVER reliable to detect the presence of HIV. Only an HIV test can tell whether or not you are infected.

All the best!

I am on the same boat as you with how worried I am. As much as you get number and statistics its not gonna help. you just have too wait it out and get a test at 6 weeks which is almost conclusive then at 3 months to be 100%. It sux and if you and I come out of this ok we should both take this as a lesson to be safe and change our ways. Gloria a dios
ars symptoms 2 to 4 weeks after infection and last for 1 to 2 weeks.High fever and rash on trunk-torso and limbs.However not every person who becomes infected with hiv has symptoms.Having no symptoms doesn,t rule out hiv infection,only a test at 3 months post-exposure can do that.Post your STD questions in the std forum.All the best.
Sure. I will be taking the test in another 3 months for sure. But I just want to know that what percentage of people will get the initial symptoms for sure and what percentage remains asymptomatic?  can i say 80% get symtptoms and 20 % are asymptomatic?

I am looking for what is the case with majority of people?
Well, I read somewhere on an American physicians website that those who show symptoms vary from 50-90% of newly infected people. Dr. Sean Cummings, one of the experts in this forum says that it amounts to 70% of the newly infected people. He also describes that the 3 most common symptoms which are likely to occur are: high fever, very sore throat, and rash. See: http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/180278/HIV-Symptoms

So, to answer your question, the majority of newly infected people indeed will show symptoms, but definitely NOT all of them. The number of those who show symptoms varies from 70-90%, so that leaves some other 10-30% of newly infected people who don't experience symptoms at all. Therefore, the only way to find out whether or not you're infected is by getting yourself tested.  
Thank you. This is exactly what i have been looking for...Very good statistics...

May I know at what time frame the initial symptoms(high fever,sore throat,Rash) usually appears? Does all these 3 symptoms appears together for all of 70-80% of infected people (who get symptoms) or they may get any of these 3?

Fever and sore throat could be easily identified....What about HIV rash??

At what time frame does the rash appears?

I had an encounter 9 days back.It was a condom slip? I am not sure whether i reinserted my penis after the slip.... Anyway i will undergo an antibody test after 3 months....

Yesterday i felt some itchy feelings near my chest,penis,buttocks,thighs and i noticed some sort of small black/brown colored pimple like things there.just one or two not much...