HIV Prevention Community

HIV testing window period - the TRUTH?

Hey folks.I get a full panel of STD testing done fairly regularly, since I am usually quite sexually active. I try to do it once or twice a year, depending on how many partners I've had.

I've read up about STD testing, how to prevent STD's, and I'm pretty good about protection (I've slipping on it once for twice when it comes to oral sex, but I'm always trying to get better about safe sex).

And there is just one thing that I cannot figure out.

What is the REAL, PRACTICAL window period of HIV?

I went to get tested for everything last week (all negative), 6 weeks after my last sexual encounter (protected). The nurse told me I'd have to come back in a month and a half because a 6-week HIV test is non-conclusive.

But I've read from many reliable sources that it is. And yet, I've had nurses tell me that nothing before 3 months, or even as long as 6 months, is conclusive.

I just want to know the actual percentage of people who test accurately for HIV after 6 weeks, versus 3 months or 6 months. Because it seems like every time I go to a clinic, I get a different answer. This is why people are so paranoid about HIV!

So, does anyone know?
the CURRENT guideline states clearly that a test at 3 months post exposure is conclusive.