HIV Prevention Community

HIV types

Does american HIV differ from central european HIV???? I mean can you catch it more easily???
NO.
were do you get these questions from, there are different strains of hiv and 2 types of hiv (hiv+1 and hiv+2) hiv+1 is the more common type which is normally found in people from europe and america whereas hiv+2 usually effects the african community! but is possible for a non african to have this type but is very rare
Wrong. HIV1 is the most prevelent HIV type in Africa.
hate to be that guy but postive thinker was right hiv-1 is most prevelent type period but hiv-2 is common is africa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiv
This question has nothing to do with Africa. The question was about American vs. Central European HIV types. I suppose you misread it but for the record, Africa and Europe are the names of two different continents.

Here's a map of HIV-1 types:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HIV-1_subtype_prevalence_in_2002.png

As can be seen almost all HIV in North America is subtype N. Europe is also largely dominated by subtype N too but with a slight bit of other types in there. The same is true of South America which has a bit of subtype C in there too.

Full article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtypes_of_HIV
No it isn't N, it's M. Guys find a better source to get your information try looking at the disclaimer on wikipedia. Any joe blow can post anything to wikipedia.
hiv-2 is common in west africa and not africa , south-africa is hiv-1 common ...
This isn't a fault on the part of Wikipeda - I screwed up and wrote N instead of B. The map is correct.
You are confusing Groups and subtypes. M,N,O,P are groups and under M there are A,B,C,D,F,G,H,J,K and CFRs subtypes.
Yes you are right. I wrote subtype N instead of B. And as you state, B is a subtype of group M (group N is extremely rare according to the article - just 10 cases as of 2006).
N and P groups are found in soutwestern africa. There is only one person at this time infected with group P.