Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.4k Members

HIV types

Does american HIV differ from central european HIV???? I mean can you catch it more easily???
17 Responses
NO.
1255835 tn?1269372451
were do you get these questions from, there are different strains of hiv and 2 types of hiv (hiv+1 and hiv+2) hiv+1 is the more common type which is normally found in people from europe and america whereas hiv+2 usually effects the african community! but is possible for a non african to have this type but is very rare
Wrong. HIV1 is the most prevelent HIV type in Africa.
hate to be that guy but postive thinker was right hiv-1 is most prevelent type period but hiv-2 is common is africa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiv
This question has nothing to do with Africa. The question was about American vs. Central European HIV types. I suppose you misread it but for the record, Africa and Europe are the names of two different continents.

Here's a map of HIV-1 types:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HIV-1_subtype_prevalence_in_2002.png

As can be seen almost all HIV in North America is subtype N. Europe is also largely dominated by subtype N too but with a slight bit of other types in there. The same is true of South America which has a bit of subtype C in there too.

Full article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtypes_of_HIV
No it isn't N, it's M. Guys find a better source to get your information try looking at the disclaimer on wikipedia. Any joe blow can post anything to wikipedia.
hiv-2 is common in west africa and not africa , south-africa is hiv-1 common ...
This isn't a fault on the part of Wikipeda - I screwed up and wrote N instead of B. The map is correct.
You are confusing Groups and subtypes. M,N,O,P are groups and under M there are A,B,C,D,F,G,H,J,K and CFRs subtypes.
Yes you are right. I wrote subtype N instead of B. And as you state, B is a subtype of group M (group N is extremely rare according to the article - just 10 cases as of 2006).
N and P groups are found in soutwestern africa. There is only one person at this time infected with group P.
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.