Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.8k Members

HIV

My wife started having unprotected sex (for ~1-5 minutes) with a man who may be HIV positive, they did stop and put on protection at this point and continued until finished.  What are the chances (assuming he's HIV Positive) that she contracted this from him?
4 Responses
You don't guess at HIV, you test. She can test 3 months post exposure to obtain a conclusive test result.  Please do not start multiple threads. Keep all your posts on one thread.
Teak,

Apologies, I'm new to this site entirely and am not 100% familiar with the methods of which to go about things.  I'm not asking this question for her, I'm asking for me and the infant child that she is nursing.  It may be nothing more than a question for my piece of mind, I understand testing is the only 100% way to know, and we intend on doing that when she is able, until then I would just like to know if it is even practical to get it from the given circumstances.
Any unprotected (anal/vaginal) warrents testing irrespective of the time limits of penetration.
Though there was penetration for a brief amount of time, testing is necessary.
There has been no scientific research done on the time taken to get infected as to the time of penetration.
How do you think HIV is transmitted if you question is it even practical?
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.