A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.6k Members

Hiv 1 or hiv 2 testing

Hi
In US, do we test for HIV1 or HIV2?
I asked planned parenthood in bay area (san jose area I believe) they said they test hiv 1 only...
But I read alot in this forum people are started to worry about hiv 2
1 Responses
I was one of those people, the truth is there were less than 100 people with HIV-2 in the USA in 1998. All of whom were imagrants from other countries and brought the disease with them. Dr HHH said that if you get HIV-2 sexually in the USA, you w ould be the first reported case.

I was very scared about it so had to get rid of my worries for it, my PCR NAT test for HIV-2 took 7 days ( the reason i was scared about it). But after i got my negative test results I called them up. They told me that they thought I had my exposure in west Africa which is where this disease is prevailant. They said, and i can forward you there email if that would give you some assurity, that HIV-2 is not tested here because it is not present here in the US. But the new generation of Elisas test for both the strins of HIV.

If your exposure was ot outside USA or not with a person who is western African, you dont have to worry about HIV-2.

God bless you my friend and good luck.
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.