Is my test reliable?

Hello, I firstly want to say how great this site is....thank you for providing this service and thank you to all the doctors and individuals who post on this forum.

I am a 29 year old female, my possible exposure was over 18 months ago, i recently tested myself using a home self testing kit called EZ Trust Rapid HIV Test Kit (manufacturer is CS Innovations Singapore, product commonly sold by Labpro and Nexus Laboratories). I live in Sydney Australia so i do not have access to the FDA approved Home Access.

Through my research, i have found that it is approved in Singapore and China and is sold in pharmacies and used in Hospitals and testing clinics there; also the product is soon to be sold in New Zealand. CS Innovations also have an EZ Trust Rapid Anti HIV Test Kit which has been approved by USAID, this is very similar but not exact to the test i used.

I followed the instructions carefully and tested negative!!!  Could i take this result as definite?

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi Bex 725

I read your blog with interest and can give the following

Please use this link and read from the official site:

http://www.usaid.gov/our_work/global_health/aids/TechAreas/prevention/counseling_testing.html

Almost in the bottom there is a red/grey box with the name "The Use of Rapid Test Kits in HIV Counseling and Testing " there is a link that will leave you to the list of approved hiv test.

press the link: (an excel file)
List of Approved HIV/AIDS Rapid Test Kits - 02/23/10

Here ez-trust from CS innovations is one of the approved, however i also found a letter from FDA U.S Food and Drug Administration that EZ-trust is not approved for sale in the US, see link:

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/ComplianceActivities/Enforcement/UntitledLetters/ucm210825.htm

So EZ-trust is approved by the US for 3rd world countries in their official aid programs, however apparrently not for the US.

Hope it will help
Helpful - 0
I just got a response from Nexus Laboratories and from CS Innovation, and i am relieved to say EZ Medtest is completely unrelated to the EZ Trust Rapid HIV Test.

The EZ Medtests were manufactured by a completely different company.
Helpful - 0
Take an approved from a testing center in Sidney and you'll know for a fact the the test is approved and reliable.
Helpful - 0
Hello, so far I have found nothing that proves EZ Medtest and EZ Trust are related. The company origins are different, the company owners have different names and the company owners/produces of EZ Medtest have been ordered by the FDA not to produce any other similar products in the future and if they do they will serve penalties.

However i have also emailed the sellers of EZ Trust to find out if there is any possible connection between the two.

Helpful - 0
Thank you for forwarding this to me,

I am researching EZ Medtest and it seems they were manufactured by a company called Sovo Tech Diagnostics Ltd, whereby mine was a different product by CS Innovation.

They do have the 'EZ' in common but that is not too unusal (i found a few companies etc with EZ attached to their title), i will try and find if the manufacturers are connected.
Helpful - 0
Unapproved HIV Test Kits May Face Legal Challenge
A consumer warning posted jointly by the FDA and the Federal Trade Commission cautions that HIV test kits that have not been approved for distribution may give inaccurate results. The statement goes on to say that the agencies may take action to halt the sale of kits that aren't up to par.

The FDA has conducted several investigations of the reliability and accuracy of unapproved HIV home test kits since 1996. Some studies show that manufacturers have falsely represented the accuracy of home test kits. One test kit cited in the warning was the EZ Medtest HIV Type I and Type II Home Test Kit, which was unable to consistently detect HIV antibodies in HIV-positive blood samples.

Companies that have been cited for illegal production and distribution of HIV home test kits include: Akers Laboratories; Chembio Diagnostic Systems, Inc; Pan Probe Biotech, Inc; and Sovo Tec Diagnostics, Inc.

Helpful - 0

Thank you for forwarding this link, unfortunately this link only takes me to Medscape Log in page, i am doing a search on that site for 'EZ Trust Rapid HIV Test' but i cannot find anything at the moment.
Helpful - 0
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/410016_2
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV Prevention Community