HIV Prevention Community
53.2k Members
Avatar universal

Is that hiv rash ?

Hi Dr, In Oct of 2008 I noticed an outbreak of red pipmle like lesions. I got a number of them on the underside of my forearms,legs, chest , and just below my waist line.  I went to my dermatologist and he diagnosed it as folliculitis and gave me some cream.  It did no good what so ever.

2) About a three month later I went to another dermatologist and he said the same thing and he gave me Dyflucan etc.. .  At this point I was starting to get rather concerned.  A year prior I had had protected (Safe sex ) and had gotten myself into quite a rut over STD's, HIV, whatnot.  I got tested for HIV 3 times over the course of a year (4month, 6 months, and 1 year.  All negative).  So, up to that point I was certain I did not have HIV and both doctors assured me that this folliculitis was not due to HIV. But I am still scared. He assured me as well that this didn't look like and HIV outbreak.He did a biopsy and it came back saying there was no organism.  So he was toungtied and recommended I see someone else.

3) But why would I all of the sudden start getting them??  And why does it not go away with treatment?  I started getting them on the head of my penis (painless and itchless).  I don't notice any other symptoms of a possible STD.  I desperately want them to go away but they only seem to stay away with Emyacin plus this Benzac (which I assume is too harsh for my penis).  The doc didn't want to keep me on the oral medication any longer so he took me off of it.

Please tell me, to the best of your knowledge, what could be the cause of this, will it EVER go away (going on a year and a half now), are there any other treatments for it, or am I simply going to have to live with it?  Is there an underlying cause or am I simply worrying over nothing?

Please help.  I would greatly appreciate it.

6 Responses
Avatar universal
Not HIV realted...tests prove that.
See a Dr if you are worried about the rash.
Avatar universal
This is not HIV related at all like Vance said, and why did you get it suddenly? there always a first time for everything, go to the DR. if the rash continues it might just be a rash depending on how long you had it, if you have had sex recently with a condom some condom can cause a allergic reaction just a guess but do go to the doctor for the rash, BUT its not HIV as you were never at risk!
Avatar universal
Thanks a lot for your kind reply. WHY I am worried..i had a sex protected sex with message parlor (in May 2008) and in Oct 2009 the rash problem started..but the rash is not permanent it comes and go(in 24hrs)..Actually  the problem with folliculities and i red that if folliculities stay for a long time then there may be chances of HIV (due to hiv infection). Just question ..folliculities can develop the head of penis ? Just for your information i do not have any other symptoms..
Avatar universal
See a Dr for your concern, it's not HIV related.
Avatar universal
thanks a lot dr...sorry to trouble you again..but Last question .. i had tested last two times from some anonymous(private std test website).Can i trust that result ?
Avatar universal
I don't see why not, but you have to do the reseach and see how trusted they can be.
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544695265
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428176748
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.