Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.3k Members

Likely to have HIV? Questions about Molluscum and relevance.

I'm 18 and a college student and have been sexually active over the past few months. I first had a case of genital Molluscum about 2 months ago a day or two after sexual intercourse with a girl of unknown status. I heard that the incubation period is 2-8 weeks but I know for a fact that it started getting noticeable just days after, with no previous sexually contact. It took me about 2-3 weeks to get them cleared up through ACV and have had no further outbreaks. I have since been doing research about it and found that if I got this I'm likely to have gotten something else, but I have shown no symptoms other than a cold. Now that's where HIV comes in. I was reading that people with HIV have Molluscum so that got me worried about if I could possibly have HIV. I have no early symptoms of ARS or early HIV symptoms other than a cold in which isn't bad at all and have dealt with worse colds before. I did an OraQuick test about 3-4 weeks after I noticed the Molluscum and tested negative. I should also mention I am an athlete and do drink frequently on the weekends. Should I take another OraQuick test soon? What's the chances of it being positive? I see the girl I had sex with often and she does not show symptoms of either Molluscum or HIV, she is also on birth control so it was unprotected. Could I have gotten Molluscum from something else? I promise that I first noticed it exactly 2 days after the encounter with her. Did I already have it and only came up because I've been eating poorly or drinking too much? My family also has a history of weakened immune systems. The fact that the cold is going away after 2-3 days and that I've been molluscum free for a month now makes me feel I don't have HIV but I'm not expert. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
1 Responses
1508374 tn?1380812110
Hello,
Unprotected penetration poses a risk of HIV transmission. An HIV test will inform you about your status.
A 4th generation HIV test is accurate 28days post exposure (and after 28 days) and a simple HIV test is accurate at 3 months post exposure.
Take care
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.